Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is $900 enough for a good 350 rebuild?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, Jul 8, 2003.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

I have a 90 350 tbi. Looking to build it to stand out in a line of your every day 350's Is it possible for $900?

Any suggestions on what to do that will keep it reliable as well as increase the HP's?

Thanks.

J

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd say no, but the question and answer are both pretty vague.

I think you'll be into a 350 for $800 easy in parts and machine work alone, if you don't "cut corners".

3. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

i just rebuilt my 350 (TBI) for a little under 900. I used Northern Autoparts as my main source for parts. I bought a Master kit (cam, all bearings, all all gaskets, pistons, rings, most everythin u need) My machine work was around 220 for the heads (reusing the good stuff, buying springs and seals) and around 180 for boring the block and honing it. (its good to know machinists) hell, i even had enough money to buy a new Scat crnak (cast, forged was like 200 bucks more) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif add in labour (around 200) ok, so it was a,little under 1100 overall counting labour and all that jazz. but, for 900 bucks, if ur crank is good, reuse it. reuses waht u can and u'll save a lot. don't be an idiot like me and build the motor urself and save 200 or more. so u see, ur goal of a decent rebuild for 900 is very achieveable. just be smart when u choose ur parts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    My machine work was around 220 for the heads (reusing the good stuff, buying springs and seals) and around 180 for boring the block and honing it. (its good to know machinists)

[/ QUOTE ]

So what'd he charge for pressing the pistons on and off the rods, and how about rod resizing? I know that was additional in my case.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that $800 is almost a "best case" scenario. Balancing alone cost me $125.

5. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

the garage pressed them on and didn't hafto resize the rods. that was included in the labor. mind you, this guy i knew for a while, so he gave me a bit of a deal. but other than that, its kina close to what you'd pay. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif as for balancing, dun waste ur money unless u plan on runnin for long periods of time. (like Ct to Cali for instance) if u plan on stayin below 5k, dun worry bout balancing it. now, if u have the moeny to spend, do it. cus u'll run just that much smoother and that much higher. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the garage pressed them on and didn't hafto resize the rods. that was included in the labor. mind you, this guy i knew for a while, so he gave me a bit of a deal. but other than that, its kina close to what you'd pay. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif as for balancing, dun waste ur money unless u plan on runnin for long periods of time. (like Ct to Cali for instance) if u plan on stayin below 5k, dun worry bout balancing it. now, if u have the moeny to spend, do it. cus u'll run just that much smoother and that much higher. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember, this was a friends machine work, and didn't have to resize the rods????

Don't be a fool, and get it balanced. You will be hard pressed to stay within those perameters, I'd save another 600 then start, as there are always 'hidden costs.'

You didn't really say your block had to be rebuilt. That $900 will put in a good cam and exhaust, which in itself will do wonders for that motor....

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I just bought a reman long block 350 for $1100. It came with a 3 tr 30,000 mile warranty.. Just a thought for you.

8. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

If they didn't resize the rods then you must not have replaced the rod bolts. I like them to turn 5K rpm safely, just my preference. I helped a friend with a motor a few years back, no labor charge on my end. Easily passed the $1K mark, but it stands out from everyday motors also.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Plan on spending 3,000to 4,000 for a good 350 that makes some horsepower. I spent 3,500 getting a little over 400horse out of my 406, but I didnt cut any corners either which as an experienced engine builder I don't recommend cutting anything short.

85k5 14bolt/10bolt3/4ton,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds,big horse406SBC/700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If $900 was enough for a good rebuild, Autozone wouldn't charge $1300 for a .030" over rebuild with no balance job and stock equipment, and GM wouldn't get $1500 for a new 350.

Hell, if $900 was enough, I'd have a rebuilt engine by now!

11. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

my friend is the auto teacher at bristol tech in Ct. Thast why i trusted him. He builds motors for a living and races them. So, when he said i didn't have to have the rods resized, i trusted him. (btw, this is the rebuild kit i bought from Northern Auto Parts> rebuild kit )

Yes, i did reuse my rod bolts, but they were in new shape (i think the motor had a previous owner put new rotating assembly in)

I didn't have my motor balanced cus i didn't need it. i was going for a basic rebuild (us high school grads don't make oodles of money like u old guys do, lol, j/k) Plus, i don't care bout small vibes. the whole truck vibes anyways. (misc stuff as usual) I don't run my engine past 4500rpm, cus i dun need to, its a big truck, why am i gonna try racing it? besides, most of our motors are outta gas by that time and make all their power down low, cus its a truck (did i really hafto say that?)

12. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

OLD GUYS?????.. press firmly son there are three copies to that citation.........

13. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I i don't care bout small vibes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may not, but your bearings will. Any vibration at any speed is not wanted, plus vibrations = lost power. Smoother=more efficient. If your stock engine had dished pistons and you install .030 flat tops, domes or what ever, how close to the stock pistions do you think they weight?
    I still think balancing is money well spent, I'd balance before spending the $ to use the torque plates.

14. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Depends on how many people you know to help you out. Myself... I know enough people that I could build a descent 350 for $1000.

Ken H.

15. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

hey ken, maybe I should just take off that 300 lb bumper, maybe it would not work so hard then...

Still kickin in se MI I see. Good to hear from ya!

The Dominator is back go wings!!

J

16. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Where is SE MI is the foxman at? I live by Flint, but as I type this I'm sittin' in my cube on University Drive, being employed by the French... ( I know I know... but it buys the gas)

17. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

fox den is 10 minutes north of Detroit /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, I type to you from Wayne State U Where I'm a student/worker for the next 5-10 years /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.... How's the mounds this year?, never been there myself, if this rebuild comes soon, I'm there... Ever heard of michigan motor exchange, I'm thinkin' it would be nice to drop in a solid building block and just be done with it already /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif...

Jeremy

18. midnight473

midnight473 Registered Member

Fox, Check in Farmington Hills at Chucks Engine Exchange. I just recently bought a motor from them, $1104.82 after the core was returned. I have known a few mechanics from that area that swear by his work and I love my new motor. It does have a warranty, but I am not sure the specs, I think it's just a 12 month 24,000 mile.

I don't have the number handy, but it might be worth the call. Tell them what you are looking for and they'll guide you as to what they would or wouldn't recommend doing.

-Jeff

19. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

lol, i said just kidding about the old guys part. ANd i have but one ticket so far in my life (idiot friends pulled a brake job on me) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Hey... I didnt even know that was you who asked this question. I could ask a buddy of mine if he wants to take on another job? Let me know.

Right now I am on Auburn Hills at my computer. A couple doors down from Big Bucks.

Ken H.

[ QUOTE ]
    Depends on how many people you know to help you out. Myself... I know enough people that I could build a descent 350 for $1000.

Ken H.

[/ QUOTE ]