Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is a 402 Big Block worth...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 19, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Is a 402 Big Block worth trading a SB400 and 327 for?

I'd be giving away a .040 over 400 complete long block (nds head gaskets) and a complete disassembled .060 over 327.

I'd be getting a newly turned cast crank, 402 block, cast domed pistons and rods, heads off a 454, a Performer Intake and Aluminum valve covers.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, thats worth it.

The 400 and 327 have been bored as far as anyone would want to take them. Any more boring and the blocks are junk.

Do the trade and enjoy your new BBC! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The fact the 402 has the name brand parts on it is reason enough to trade for.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Find out just how "domed" the pistons are. You don't want a big block with something like an 11:1 compression ratio. Buying racing fuel gets expensive! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. mountainexplorer

I figured both the 327 and 400 are pretty much junk after their last run.

I just went and looked at the 402 stuff. Not too big of a dome on the pistons...just look like your basic stock 396 pistons. 2 rods were reconditioned, but her said it'd be wise to just have them all done. Crank is at 10/10. Valve covers are the short Holley finned Aluminum. Heads are open chamber with the larger valves, off a 454.

He also has the cam that was out of the 454. It was in a 1-ton dually and looked to have had low miles on it when the truck was hit from the side. The throttle stuck and the truck caught on fire. Two bearings spun in the motor. He traded the 454 short block for the 402 short block, but kept most of the stuff off the 454 (intake, headers, oil pan, etc...)

So, I think I'll do the trade on Saturday. Should I take a chance at re-using the cam?

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

To my understanding (could be wrong, often is) a 402 is the same motor as a 396 only with a slightly larger bore from the factory. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

6. mountainexplorer

Yeah, a 402 is just a 396 bored .030 over. I believe there were quite a few factory 402 motors, which were basically the same 396 block with a .030 larger bore...which would be considered standard bore for a 402. This block I'm looking at is "supposedly" an original 402 block, with .030 over 396 pistons. Not that it matters or anything...its the same thing anyway.

And I'm no expert either. I just based that on what I've observed. If I am wrong also, please correct me.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You are correct. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I'm runnin a '71 402 BB with forged pistons, balanced crank, 396 or 427 closed chamber heads, and Harland Sharpe aluminum roller rockers....Love this thing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It's pretty much stock other than the stuff I already mentioned. Gotta pick up a good Edelbrock manifold and some headers and I'll be set. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

want a monster?
    try this recipe. get an eagle 406 kit, pistons, 6 inch rods, and a 400 crank. it comes out to 406. then slap on some AFR heads and a big cam. o and stand back. a friend of mine is doing a setup like this for his 66 chevelle. if you have more questions ill set you up with his email. he is the man when it comes to this motor.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

that would work good, but its for a small block.

11. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif missed the BB thing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif