Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is a 7,000 GVW trailer REALLY enough??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2Blazer, Jul 23, 2003.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Okay, seriously looking at making my K5 a trailer queen. Part of the reason is just to get rid of having to drive the K5 the minimum of 250-mile round-trip to the trails (bias TSL's and a welded rear), and the concern about breaking something seriously and being stuck 125 miles from home.............anyway........

As you know the base tandem axle car haulers are typically rated at 7,000 GVW, and the trailer by itself weighs at least 1,500 lbs.- 2,000 lbs., thus leaving around a 5,000 - 5,500 lb. load capacity for my 6,000 lb. Blazer.

It seems as if a lot of the better built (i.e. heavier) trailers are only limited by the two 3,500 lb. axles......based on the fact that you can upgrade them to around 9-10k by just installing heavier axles, but that cost some money.

Taking into account that the trailer axles will not have to support the tongue weight (I'm guessing at least 800 lbs.??) would a 7k trailer work okay, or should I just chuck up the extra money for a 9 or 10k trailer.

I don't want to spend any more than necessary, but also don't want to go the cheaper route and then regret it.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I hauled Emmett a few times on a 7000lb trailer. I hauled nicely and didn't seem to be over loaded. the trailer I used had 14" wheels which bothered me, but it did great... When I hauled it I used my bro 97 Dodge that you saw. One time I hauled Emmett to Wellsville( about 62 miles) and the other time I used the same trailer to haul a stock/wrecked 87 K5 from NJ to here.

The 7K;bs trailer did nicely without problems. ALthough if you have the extra cash to pony up, a 10Klb would give you piece of mind!

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

BTW, having a nice trailer and haulin your sheesh to trail is so nice!!!!! Another good piece of mind to know you're guaranteed to get home! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I run two 3500 pound axles under my trailor and I've pulled it 7 hours to Moab and back with no trouble at all. Used it for two years with no trouble. I bet you would be fine.

And yes, it is real nice to pull it on a trailor. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

So far I've been lucky and have always been able to repair the truck fairly quickly and get home. On our last ride if one of the guys with us hadn't had a part that we were able to cobble together I would have been screwed.

About half the "regular" group I go trailriding with have trailers, the only problem is that they are all smaller vehicles (Jeeps, Toys, etc.....). They usually have no problem loading somebodies else's vehicle on them to haul them home if they are broke, but my Blazer won't fit between the fenders even on a 102" trailer.

Anyway, I did find a nice trailer and it only cost $300 to upgrade from 7k to 9k axles including brakes on both axles. I would definitely do it for $300 but the base trailer was already about $500 more than others.......

The tire rating is a good point. I was checking out a buddy's 7k trailer and saw that the tires that were on the trailer when he bought it new were only rated for about 6k total???? He only hauls a Jeep around so it's not a problem for him.

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Hopefully next year I will be buying a trailer myself and I plan on getting way more trailer than I need. I am looking at getting a 12k trailer for the sake of versatility, you never know who or what you will be pulling.

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have 3 trailers. All of them are 10k lbs models. I like the safety factor knowing that my 6000lb truck will not overload them no matter what. In VA 5k lb axles must have brakes on them. So both axles have brakes. A 7k will only have one axle with brakes.

I have no trouble with my trailers. Just my experience.

John

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Just be sure and check your states laws on what class licence you need for a 10k trailer. Most of the 10k trailers I've looked at here are 10,400 GVW and in Kalifornia you need a Class A licence to pull them.

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Do y'all think a 7k trailer is heavy enough for a burban or crewcab? I'm going to get a new flatbed soon for hauling parts trucks and need it to be able to pull crewcabs for sure and maybe a suburban.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Simply put, No. That's not enough for a crewcab or 'burban. My regular cab 1 ton 2wd weighs 4900 lbs with a half tank of fuel.

11. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    crewcabs for sure and maybe a suburban

[/ QUOTE ]

most 7000lbe trailers are no longer than 16' so a crewcab or burb won't even fit on one. i know with my 7000'er my k5 uses the entire trailer.

12. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

That's a good point. I have a 16' flatbed right now that I'm trying to sell so I can get an 18 or 20 footer. Its a damn good trailer but its not long enough. When I got my crewcab parts truck, I had to hire a wrecker to haul it cause the wheelbase was about a foot longer than the trailer. Wreckers are expensive, I want a bigger trailer.

13. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Pony up for the bigger trailer. I'm a firm believer in towing overkill, since things like multiple flat tires has a tendency to make my vacation less fun. You'll probably tow on bumpy roads, bad highway, dirt roads, faster than you should at times and with a truck on board that may not always be a stable load. Don't push your trailer to the limit all the time.
    My ideal trailer would have 9-10K axles, brakes all around, 235/85-16 E range tires, low deck height, gooseneck, light weight construction, 2 spares mounted to it, a nice toolbox area, and some storage for spare truck parts and if you want to get really carried away, a small living quarters in the front like the nicer horse haulers. But that's a little over the top for this discussion.
    Remember that it's easy for a trail rig to weigh over 6K# with camping gear, food, coolers, etc and it's no fun stripping your truck to put it on the trailer after a long weekend of fun.
    That said, I haul with a really heavy 16' gooseneck equipment trailer with a 14,400# GVW (Kali does not like but they can lick my keister) and overall the tow rig with K5 and trailer weighs about 19000#. The trailer is definite overkill but can be used for other things.
    Colorado doesn't require a CDL until 26K# so it's all fine here.