Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is a carb ever un-rebuildable?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by socal chevy, Mar 15, 2005.

1. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

Before I get my Carb rebuilt I just want to check and see if there are any symptoms that would allow it not to be rebuilt. Your help is very much appreciated!

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

aparently. I gave mine to a carb guy and he called me today and said the inside looks like i fished it out of the ocean.dont know if he can fix it

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Common way for them to be ruined is overtightened bolts. It warps and cracks the housings.

Either carb to intake, or the smaller ones that hold the whole carb together.

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

The bores for the throttle shafts can become too worn and vacuum leaks occur. These bores can be sleeved/bushed, but ecoonomically it is cheaper to find another carb to rebuild. Other than a broken casting, or fire damage, anything can be repaired as long as you can afford it.

5. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

+1

never seen a carb over tighned at the factory. :rolleyes:

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes!!!

Yes--carbs can be rendered useless,even if they appear to be perfect on the outside--other than the throttle shaft problems and stripped bolts,etc--the main reason many are junk is due to water getting in the carb from contaminated fuel,or sitting during storage--it eats the zinc the carb is made from,turns it all white and pasty--

If you have ever openned up a carb and saw white stuff that looks like cream of wheat,water got into it,and it does the same thing to the internal passages drilled into the carb body,and is nearly impossible to remove--I have salvaged a few rare antique carbs that had that corrosion by soaking them in battery electrolyte for 15 minites(any longer the carb will not be there when you come back!)--some places use toilet bowl cleaner like Vanish,they claim it works--but once the carb gets that corrosion stuff in it,your better off scrapping it in most cases..

.Sometimes they clean up okay and run good,but not always...its getting harder all the time to buy a used carb that isnt all corroded like this,since its been nearly 20 years since they used carbs on trucks...and most of them are left out to the weather in junkyards--the proper way to store a carb is to put it in a clean 5 gallon bucket and fill it with diesel fuel till its submerged completely--that keeps everything lubed and keeps the accelerator pump from drying out..sometimes letting them sit on the shelf dry works too,but I had better luck keeping them wet...:crazy:

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, I've never seen where a previous owner tried to rebuild a 30 year old carb either.

Apparently I'm going to need to clarify so I don't get a warning in my PM's. Nowehere in this post is anything mentioned about this carb being factory original, and your post, whether intended or not, implies that in the 40 years since these carbs were first introduced, there is no way that they could have been mishandled by the previous owners or a bad shop.

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i thought that crap in the bowl was supposed to be there!?!?!? ;) heck, 98% of the boats in my marina have that.. :whistle:

9. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

you mean 21. Because he has an 84 truck. Which even make the carb be 22 years because of the model year.

Usually, they put new carbs in the new trucks back in 84.

10. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

Well I just pulled the carb. I poped my cherry doing it.:p: Wasnt hard at all. Thanks for all the replies. Im going to rebuild it and go from there. Hopefully my issues will be somewhat resolved!.....
    ---->http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127555

11. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

He simply means that in that 22 year period, chances are someone besides the factory have messed with the carberator and could have damaged it. No big deal really, nothing worth raising commotion over. :)