Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is a muffler necessary?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I've been reading on another diesel forum, and it seems like some folks say a muffler on a turbo diesel isnt necessary? The sound clips sure were sweet.

Also, I still want to route the exhuast to the outside of the frame rail, and then dump it down a-la lightning style right before the rear wheel. Not having a muffler would make this process easier. This is so I can fit another 35 gallon fuel tank inbetween the frame rails.

2. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It's not necessary, but the high pitch drone while cruising on the highway may get on your nerves.

I will run a straight pipe and a Dynomax straight-through muffler eventually for comparison.

We have a Kennedy Diesel louvered muffler on the 96, and it sounds sweet.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

My dad was running a straight pipe on his DMax 2500HD, and he loved it.

4. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

ive been running straight pipes since march. i finally put a 30" glasspack and exhaust snorkle on. its much better now

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i know someone whos got an 82 with 6.2 and he removed mufflers and put on straights, its only loud when he revs it up or is at the top of gears high RPM, you dont want to be near the tail pipe ends when its revved up

good luck

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

You don't have to have a muffler on a turbodiesel, because the turbo acts as a muffler and cuts down a lot of the noise. It's still loud though. A Cummins with no muffler sounds just like a 500 hp Semi truck cruising down the road. The other diesels sound good too. However, if you pull trailers or load the engine up very often, the noise gets on my nerve. I have the Kennedy 4" free-flowing muffler on my truck, and I think it's just right. Sounds awesome. Still fairly quiet, but it lets a lot of the turbo noise come through, so it still sounds like a big rig.

BTW... I used to have the exhaust dump before the rear wheels, and I hated it. The diesel soot blacked up my wheels something awful. I'm awfully glad to have the exhaust coming out behind the rear wheels again.

Casey

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You don't have to have a muffler on a turbodiesel, because the turbo acts as a muffler and cuts down a lot of the noise. It's still loud though. A Cummins with no muffler sounds just like a 500 hp Semi truck cruising down the road. The other diesels sound good too. However, if you pull trailers or load the engine up very often, the noise gets on my nerve. I have the Kennedy 4" free-flowing muffler on my truck, and I think it's just right. Sounds awesome. Still fairly quiet, but it lets a lot of the turbo noise come through, so it still sounds like a big rig.

BTW... I used to have the exhaust dump before the rear wheels, and I hated it. The diesel soot blacked up my wheels something awful. I'm awfully glad to have the exhaust coming out behind the rear wheels again.

Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been contemplating ditching the muffler on my perkins TD, now I got an exhaust brake so I will try it.
    Turbo plus exhaust brake and a stack behind the cab(crew cab that is).
    If it's too loud still then I will add a muffler in the stack.

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'm running a straight pipe on my '01 Cummins Dodge............sounds nice but to be honest a bit loud when you mash the pedal.

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I heard a CUCV n/a 6.2L yesterday with straight pipes and it doesnt sound like a diesel. It sounds more like a top fuel dragster to me lol.

10. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I heard a CUCV n/a 6.2L yesterday with straight pipes and it doesnt sound like a diesel. It sounds more like a top fuel dragster to me lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, n/a diesels with no mufflers are quite loud, almost as loud as straight-piped gassers. The guy that bought my old '86 K10 6.2L a couple of years ago ditched the mufflers and put on dual straight-pipes, but that didn't last too long. Way too loud! He got tired of the noise and the tickets. I'm not sure what he put back on.

Casey

11. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

when my diesel was running.........
    It had dual glasspacks that are pretty old.
    Its quiet at idle, but when the rpm's are up,
    its hellacious. I pass people on the interstate
    and it sounds like I'm shooting a gun at them /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    As for the noise, its freak'n loud. But I have tsl's
    on it, so I'm not concerned with noise /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Just my .02 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif