Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is a multumount strong if not would pipe be ok

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5texan, Nov 6, 2001.

1. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

i was thining about making a front bumper out of 3x6 tubing and putting a reciever hitch in the front so i can mount the winch on front or back. if that wont work should i make the front were it is permently attached out of tubing or will pipe be ok. because i can buy a pipe bender a lot cheaper than a tube bender.
    thanks
    jared

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Re: how strong is a multumount

If you pull from the side with a multi-mount it will break. I think it is more of a novelty for a mall runner than a really useful accessory.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

3. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I dont' have a place to show pics on the web but i'll send you pics of my multi mount. I built my own using box tubing, but instead of one reciever i used two. I have pulled alot of people out, done side pulls, used snatch blocks, etc and it won't budge. I have the receiver built into the front and rear bumpers. Let me know if you want more info. Later - Doug

Doug Krebs

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I could see two recievers being quite a bit stronger!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Duel mounts also helps prevent twisting the mount when pulling to one side (or rather, not dead ahead). I wouldn't even consider a single mount like that.

Hehe, just to go a step further, maybe even an extra mount on each side in the rock sliders? That could be used to easily right a rig that has gone belly up (or on it's side). You could even use it with the remote to walk the vehicle out of a bad situation while using the wench to prevent a roll and letting it in/out as necessary to keep ballanced. Much better and safer than some of the human ballast efforts I've seen used. I was thinking it would be nice to have a setup like this built into my rig when I get to the cool stuff. Wouldn't take that much to graft a couple of extra receiver pairs into some 3" rock sliders. The receivers could then be run back and tied directly into the frame as part of the slider mount. Just some things that crossed my mind. [​IMG]

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

take a look at the pics in the album my blazer in the webshots link in my sig and take a look at mine i used square tubbing on mine and it works awesome i can get better pics of how it is mounted to the frame if you are interested

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

7. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

I saw a home made multi mount but the reciever was solid steel like the 10,000lb hitch type wonder what would break first.

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11

8. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the advice i am still debating whether to do a multi mount are have just it on the front. if i do that would tubing be better than pipe or does it not really matter.
    thanks
    jared

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Take a box full of bricks that weighs about 90lb. Go find a mud hole about rocker deep and park your truck in the middle of it. Set the box of bicks way up in the truck so you have to drag your muddy self into the back of your truck. Then drag it out. Carry it around to the front of the tuck. Repeat this a few times. This will give you an idea if you want a multi mount.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hehe, too funny Grim! [​IMG] Personally, I had more in mind leaving it stuck in the front unless I need the clearance/approach angle, then it could be moved to the back or bed as required. I don't see this as requiring any more effort or forethought than other solutions (run the cable under the truck before hitting a hole to avoid crawling under). It just gives more options and clearance when needed.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There is a company that makes a winch set up that looks like a regular winch bumper. It has a removable winch deck and double recievers so that it can be side loaded. Then a double reciver set up for the back. There was a write up about 5 years ago in one of the mags. It's a Canadian company that makes it but I don't remember the name. Had the Canadian Maple leaf cut into the sides of the brush gard uprights. The Canadian mounties or some rescue units had awarded them a contract to supply them for their rescue vehicles. I had thought seriously about building a simulare set up. It's pretty complicated to do and have it come out looking respecatable. I follow the rule of never wheeling alone. So if I need to get yanked back there should be somebody behind me already.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper