Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IS A New Oil Pan That Hard To Get????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Canuck, Jun 30, 2000.

1. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

The previous owner of my '86K5 must have run into something extreme because The pan was bashed out and a plate was welded across the bottom and half way up the side. It leaks like a son-of-a-B%$#H.

Anyway, I went to order a GM replacement and they said first of all it was $200.00 (Canadian) and secondly, I couldn't get one because there is no stock on them. By bro told me that they had a problem with rusting out.

1986, 305, no rear main seal. Passenger side dip stick. Is there a GM quality repacement out there??

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

Blazers Forever

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Check out a summit racing catalog, they have them at great prices, so do Jegs.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

4. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

Canuck as far as I know, you can use any 4x4 oil pan for a small block. maybe even a 2x4 pan. I did this on a suburban. just match the pan up if you get another one. You can pick one up in a junk yard for 40 bucks or so..As for the rear main its a two piece or a one piece. Two piece pre-86, One piee 86 and up. Then again it was a retooling year for those motors so check your heads.....I believe with center bolt heads you have a one piece rear main. Anyone out there can correct me if I'm wrong.
    A very, very important point about your "smashed" pan is the pick-up from the oil pump, the clearance is very close to the bottom, and with even minimal damage to the pan you can crack the pick-up tube i would change the pump and pickup to high volume, not high pressure unit....good luck

5. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Eveything looks OK. The pick up must have been changed. The pan utilizes a one piece seal. GM needed the actual production date of the pan. I guess there were a few different ones for that year. I already went through the used part and it didn't fit. Piss me off, especially after I cleaned and painted it up. No more messing around, I would like a new one.

Thanks for the info.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

Blazers Forever

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status