Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is any locker good in snow?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scotty1, Mar 22, 2002.

1. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I have read many posts about problems with lockers and snow, here in WV we do get snow so it is something I have to deal with. My question would be is there a locker that is friendly inthe snow. I figure an ARB or maybe a electronic switchable locker would be the ticket but wanted to hear from you folks about your experiences and suggestions. Thanks

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    We get a lot of snow here also.
    I'm in the process of putting in my ARB right now and I think it is the best option for when you are in the snow. Allows you to run open front in the snow and lock it when you need it. When you run a constant locked front like a Detroit, it will cause you to break a wheel loose in the snow on a turn (push). I'll let you know if you want after it's installed IF we get more snow. (we should).
    Dave

3. René

René 1/2 ton status

The best is a hand activated locker like ARB. But in addition, a differential brake is not so bad.

4. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

What are you running in the rear, a detroit? I am leaning toward having an open front and a locked rear, I am not into real hard core trail riding, yet. I figure the front locker would be a waste for me, but something I could add in the future. The rear is where I plan for having my locker and I am leaning toward the Detroit mainly because of its lower cost and reliability. I am currently shopping for a pre 88 1 ton pickup chevy/GMC as my platform.

5. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

What's a "differential brake?"

Thanks, Shane

6. René

René 1/2 ton status

Oh sorry it was exactly translated from the German. I've meaned a limited slip...

7. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Hey that is a cool dancer on your ID, is that one of those virtual strippers?

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have a Detroit in the rear and open front (for now), and I found it handles better in the snow with the locked rear

9. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I have a Detroit in the rear and an ARB up front. We have a cabin up near Big Bear, so I do see snow several months of the year when I go wheeling up there. The Detroit is ok until you get on any sort of sidehill! Any time the trail gets uneven, the Detroit is a real nailbiter! It automatically heads for the downhill side of teh trail, so the whole rear of the truck sideslips that way - and it is usually next to some dropoff! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Twice now I have had to winch my truck back onto the trail after the Detroit "pushed" me off...the ARB is great, since I use it whenever I am charging ahead, when I get to a spot that requires better turning, I just flip it off.

If you will not be doing any hardcore trails on hardpack snow or ice, the Detroit is good. If you plan on seeing lots of snow trailriding, you are better off with the ARB...as far as highway driving, I tend to drive very cautiously, so neither locker has given me any problems, although I am sure the Detroit would present some problems on very icy roads...

10. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Excellent, thank you for sharing that with me. I still think I like the Detroit even tho it has the bad manners on the snow, my snow driving is about 80% road and 20% offroad. I am also planning on a winch and with the Detroit it sounds like it will get used. I like the ARB upfront and will eventually put that in too. My rig needs to be able to get down the road as well as get up the offroad.

11. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

With my previous truck, I didn't mind auto-lockers in snow. The trick is to steer with the go-pedal. Bit more will make the front inside tire hook up, and will often create over-steer, rather than the regular under-steer.

With my Blazer, I've got cable lockers and once I hit the deep stuff (2+ feet), I just lock them in and forget them. Steers good and sharp, no prob's, no real understeer to worry about. Less than 2ft, I seldom bother with lockers.

--Rob

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, Keith, cabin in Big Bear , eh? Been holdin' out on us.... hmmmm. It's quite possible you could become my next best friend! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

13. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Rob,
    What cable lockers / axels are u running in the blazer?

14. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Pam, I thought I told you about the cabin a long time ago? Yeah, it is up in Green Valley Lake, away from the crowds of Big Bear. When we go up to help out with the Earth Day Trail Cleanup April 20th, I think that people are going to camp out/stay with us at the cabin on Saturday night, that way we can go run some more trails Sunday. You are more than welcome to come up and join us! I still haven't gone skiing yet this year, this next weekend should be pretty decent if we get snow Wed/Thurs like they are saying...

As for the Detroit locker, let me say that all in all, I am very happy I have it back there. It's just in some situations it would be preferable to have the ability to turn it "off" like the ARB, but most of the time it just gives you awesome traction with no problems! When I lock the front and hit the deep stuff, the truck just claws its way forward, it's awesome! Just ask David Kennedy from 4WOR mag, he followed my tracks last year in 2 ft of snow for about 2-3 miles NONSTOP during our infamous Snow Run last January! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Just put the pedal to the metal and never stopped til we hit the highway!

15. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

WELD IT!!!! it's always locked and precictable....

I just did mine with trustyk5 saturday and loved it offroad on sunday!!!!!!!

Detroit = no way.. it will kick out nin the raina nd snow...

16. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

WELD IT!!!! it's always locked and precictable....

I just did mine with trustyk5 saturday and loved it offroad on sunday!!!!!!!

Detroit = no way.. it will kick out nin the raina nd snow...

17. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

18. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks Keith! Actually you could have told me at one point or another, but with my CRS, I'd be the last to know!/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Hoping it snows. This winter's been close to a bust out here.

BTW I regeared to 4.10s from 3.08s, and put a Detroit TruTrak in the rear. Getting body mounts done now (not worth the time and effort for me to do it, so in the shop). Hopefully will have it out by this weekend. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

19. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Cool, so you are close to coming out with us?? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Let's see that TruTrac in action! Hopefully you can come up and join us for the Trail Cleanup Day in Big Bear April 20th and then maybe run some trails with us afterwards...should be a lot of fun!

20. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Checked your web page, you got an AWESOME truck there!