Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is anyone a microwave technician or know someone that is one ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Dec 17, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have a sharp carousel R-409AK that i bought new about 4 years ago it is dated may of 98 and yesterday it made crinkle noises and slowed up to astop all in about two seconds while it was in the middle of warming up some water for a couple minutes or so that i had set it for and it has no power at alll to anything including the LCD display screen, so i rmeoved the tin cabinety cover from it a bit ago and everything looks perfect, no melted anything or scorched anything or smells or anything, so i have to assume that the 110 power supply coil assembly deal is at fault, or maybe the big metal capacitor thingy with two wires to it, next to the power supply.

anyone know if that would be correct ?
    aqm on a severely low budget and normally i would just say oh well it died it had a good life and go buy another, but i cant do that these days, so thanks for anything from anyone here, i had no luck online looking for an answer other than finding out that this particular model has an LCD screen display problem but that this one that i have never had.

thanks

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

When you had the cover off, did you look to see that the fuse was still good? There is a regular glass style fuse that is mounted to the main circuit board /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

The fuse is blown. They are usually the ceramic type that you can't see through. Replace that fuse with one just like the old one. You can test it with a VOM meter if you want.

Now comes the semi hard part. Make sure you put that thing back together exactly the way it came apart. You don't want any microwave leakes.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

All the microwaves I've owned have all had glass fuses /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif oh well, anyways randy, check the fuse /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. landsmasher

Hmmm... I used to work on them for a living, and I would say that 95% have ceramic... But yes, replace the fuse. Only other thing that goes wrong with those things is too expensive to fix. Other than the fuse, microwave ovens are disposable.

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

It might be cheaper to just find a used one...I know there are umpteen used appliance stores around here, you might be able to pick one up for 10 bucks or so.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well this one has zero fuses, LOL

i looked for that first thing right off the bat, but nope isnt anything even remotely similar in there. and no main circuit board either

and there are only a couple small appliance shops locally they only deal in washers and dryers and stoves and thats it,

remember i live in cornfield land USA

thanks

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    remember i live in cornfield land USA

[/ QUOTE ]

How could I forget? I'm looking at one out the window right now (well it's dark) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. landsmasher

[ QUOTE ]
    well this one has zero fuses, LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG! You didn't look hard enough. I guarantee you that it has a fuse and that is what's wrong with it.

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Some microwaves have a cavity fuse which could blow, looks like black disc with 2 spade terminals coming out of it. Also on most sharps the main board is behind the display and touchpad, they are all in one with little ribbon connectors holding them together. The capacitor and diode only pertain to the heating , not main power. Most do have ceramic fuses, although anyone could change/substitute. Look for the fuse on a holder in front of the magnetron ( big brick with short antenna ), or on top near a corner.

P.S I am manager of a parts store in Arizona and prefer to talk people out of fixing them unless they are built in to cabinent and you have at least 300 invested already.