Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is anyone else having problems with there MSD offroad 6 ignition box?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 89K1500Chevy, Dec 4, 2002.

1. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

I have had a MSD for about 5 months and about 2 months ago my truck started shuting off at random I had to be towed home like 4 times(but AAA paid the bill). I replaced everything i could think of on the distributor and reset the timing and it still happened and i knew it was spark because a nice sheriff pulled off the road to help me out and he turned the key while i held a plug wire over a ground and nothing jumped the gap. I finally took it to the dealership after doing everything I could in my driveway with it and it gets to them and runs fine for 3 days not doing anything it was with me so they did not bill me. I drove it home and the next day after work on my way home it shuts off agin so i pulled the MSD off and hooked up the old system in the Petsmart parking lot I was able to coast there and the home depot is right there beside it. I went in bought butt connectors and did the work right then in the parking lot. It has ran fine ever since with MSD off and I after about 1 month of it off I hooked it back up and it ran fine on for about 8 hours then i was leaving my driveway when it shuts off agin DAMN. It worked really good with my engine i was pissed i got a lot better MPG with it and it had a power gain. Me and my friends go the drag strip a lot and where my truck used to hit 60mph with stock it was hitting 70 mph a certian sign on the track. Anyway I asked a Question and after telling a long story Has anyone else with an MSD ign. ever had probs with it and what was it as bad as the one i was having? Thanks for reading if you did! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

2. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

i have the same problem or did.
    i just unhooked it,so if ya find out let me know!

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Check the resistance of plug wires.No experience with that system,but,have read if resistance is too high it can cause electronic boxes to shut down.I think it was in Petersans.Don't know they have help on line or not,but,I'll see if I can find it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif