Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is ANYONE running 31's or 32's?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Is ANYONE running 31\'s or 32\'s?

I just got done reading a post about a fellow who wanted to get some more reasonable tires for city driving. All anyone said was why would you wanna do something like that. It was oversized or nothing. I happen to run 31's with 1"+ lift and love the hell out of it. My dad has 33"s and a 4" lift and I'm not to crazy about it. Is there anyone on this thing who runs 31"s or so and are happy. Seems like I'm the only one, lol

2. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Re: Is ANYONE running 31\'s or 32\'s?

I got 31's with stock truck and 3.42's. Have no prob. Love it. looks great too. So there are a few of us out there who do like the midsize tires.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    "if it ain't got rust, it ain't got character"

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://bens87toy.coloradok5.com>http://bens87toy.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Blazer_Boy

Hey hey, glad to hear it man! I guess it sounds like I'm rantning but It seemed like people think that stock is some how inferior. How do you like those 3.43s? I'm putting in 3.73 12 bolt and a Dana. The 3.08s don't do well on the hills and the RPMs are too low.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I have 31's, they suck [​IMG], I should have got some 35's and a lift. Everytime I get stuck it always because I'm high centered and a lift-n-tires will cure that.

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune time." [​IMG]

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

The 3.42 aren't too bad, the truck is a little numb now but not as bad as 3.08 or 2.73's. Thank God!!!!! I'm gonna do some bolt os stuff to try to get a little more low end grunt. But I like the look of the 31's with stock height. I don't go offroading with my truck just cruise so the kinda high gearing isn't that bad. Just remember that bigger isn't always better!!
    Ben 87Jimmy
    "if it ain't got rust, it ain't got character"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://bens87toy.coloradok5.com>http://bens87toy.coloradok5.com</A>

6. Blazer_Boy

Well by that same token 35"s M/T suck on snow. If you hit some hard snow downhill and you put on the brakes well, you might as well not bother about thinking of stopping. If you off-road then by all means you better have them. I just ride around and go fishing. You don't have any drivelines vibes with near stock height. U-joints last longer. All the driveshafts fit up correctly. Its easy to load stuff into the bed. You don't need a ladder to work under the hood. Its not like scaling Everest getting in the thing. If you're lucky enough to have a garage it'll be easier to get in. Its not as easy to roll when it isnt so high up. You don't have all that weight on your steering componets, not to mention on your brakes.

I could have come out and told people all that to begin with, but I didn't. I just wanted to know if anyone was running near stock height and 31"s.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I,m running Goodyear 31s and like them just fine. Had a spring shop make me up a set of custom springs that gave about 2" of lift and still keep a good ride. 373 is a great all around gear ratio for 31" -33" tires.
    My K5 is a sleeper, It looks stock but it has lots of engine, suspention and drivetrain modifacitaions. I'v blown the doors off any high BOY lifted truck that has even tried to keep up with me on or off the road. I love to show them my tail lights and make them eat my dirt.LOL
    Ever wonder why you never see lifted trucks in off road races?

8. Ditchdigger

Ditchdigger Registered Member

I'm running 31s and their fine, maybe a little low RPMs not sure yet what gearing I have, Maybe cuz a certain sticker is missing (dammit) but when it comes time to overhaul engine I'm gonna go for low and midrange to compensate and I don't do any Serious offroading and she does see alot of highway
    but I would like to get 32s and fill up that wheel well But, I think its a good compromise for a almost daily driver and still somewhat monster looking next to these new trucks!

If it ain't Intimidating / It ain't a Chevy!

9. Ditchdigger

Ditchdigger Registered Member

You said It Blazer Boy! in your last message

If it ain't Intimidating / It ain't a Chevy!

10. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'm not a big fan of 31's at all... but 32's or 33's that fill out the blazer's wheel wells can look great w/ the stock susp. and keep all the same advantages. But to get real on the offroad chapter... lift is better... one for clearance, 2 you will need even more if you upgrade to a 14B to keep from breaking stuff. Stock is nice... But a 6" lift w/ 35's looks awsome if it is done right and can ride just as good as stock also. I just drove a J&$p that had 40's on it from the 4x4 shop of a friend's buddy and I tell you it was a great lift job by the tech there. Dang thing handled better then the owner's 2000 Chevy. A ' lift is money and work... but if stock floats your boat... cool... at least it isn't a F#@d or a J*$p [​IMG]!

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

11. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

SMALLER!!!?? aww heck i got 33's and want to go bigger!!!!
    hehe, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

12. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Not really getting into this argument, but I will say if 31's are great, Dodge makes a really nice 4wd minivan with 225 radials that work great on pavement, even with snow on pavement. No, just BSing you to get you going. The real thing here is that I must be an idiot, cuz I have seen LOL on the pages a lot and have no idea what it stands for, so hopefully I can get an answer. Thanks.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

13. Blazer_Boy

Hehe, this is so cool! We've all got our own opnions and we're not getting into a p*ssing match. I was afraid that it would get outta hand or something but its pretty cool. I love you guys, hahaha. [​IMG]

14. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Alright Blazer Boy, you love guys. Whoa, stop the train, cuz I'm gettin off. Hey, what the Hel)(* does LOL mean man. It is now bothering me. Hope to hear on it.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

15. Blazer_Boy

LMAO, musta been some kinda subliminal slip, hope not. I always do that, I'll be going along and then forget to type a word, looks like a forget a rather important one. Thanks for posting that cause I would have never noticed, oh well, got it fixed. LOL means Laugh Out Loud

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

31's are great on the street, I can fit in parking garages etc but when it comes to off-road 31's can only go so far. I've never seen a TTC entry with no lift and 31's. When done right a lifted truck has no vibes, rides good(for a truck) and lasts long. BTW, Thunder, I've never seen a SODA/SCORE truck blasting through a mud bog or climbing the rocks. Everything has its place and it all boils down to personal taste, I know some people who drive a truck with 44's to work eveyday

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune time." [​IMG]

17. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have 31 inch BFG's that came with my K5. The last owner says that it will clear 33's the way it it (add a leaf), so I am going to try that this summer. If it don't work, then I will go with 32x11.50's! Love my K5. went wheeling tonight in the snow, and got it minorly stuck, no prob though. 4-lo kicks ass!!

1977 Blazer w/ 350 GM crate motor
    44 front/ 12-bolt rear, gear driven NP205
    31x10.50r15 BFG All-terrain- Larger on the way!

18. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I have 31's but they are so bald they're like 30's actually. I'm gonna lift it 4" and put 33's on it. Now there is an all around good truck!!

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm running 30x9.50's. But that's on my S-10. [​IMG] (Nothing bigger will fit without spending major bucks on a lift.) My current K5 has 35's on it. The last one had 33's. The one before that ran 36's. It really depends on what you want to do with your rig.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

20. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I thought about going 33's, but here's the cost factor:
    4 new tires @ at least 100 a piece
    New gearing
    lift kit, or trimming

all in all, I expect that 1000 bucks will be needed to get to 33's properly. And then it would also increase my body roll. and make towing more of a choir