Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is anyone using the dual 15" electric truck fans from Flex-a-lite?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Jun 19, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is anyone using the dual 15\" electric truck fans from Flex-a-lite?

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/monster-electric.html

Here is the link to flexalite.

Is anyone using these fans and/or have any experience with them? They pull 5,500CFM....how much does the stock fan in my 85' K5 pull? Also the fans pull 28 amps at full power and tha bothers me a little because I have a large stereo system, A/C, and power windows soon. I do have a large case commercial alt that is rated at around 100 amps or so but I figure by the time the fans take 28 amps, stereo takes 50 amps and ignition takes 3 amps...thats already 81 amps claimed. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    How hard is it to do the wiring install on the fans with the A/C relay? How hard is it to do the dual altenator route in place of the smog pump? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have 2 porblems:
    1. I have a 3" body lift and my shroud is all hacked up and I know I am not pulling enough air. ANyone that knows me here probably already knows I have been fighting my 406's running temps about since I dropped it in. I figure with 5500 CFM of air and my 4 core radiator SHOULD keep the temps under control.

2. For some reason I keep blowing through A/C pumps. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    I have burnt through 2 in 18 months with the 2nd one lasting about 3 weeks. My guess is that I am not getting enough air through the condensor at slower speeds causing the high side pressures to sky rocket and making it extremely hard on the pump and severely shortening their life.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    I hope these fans would solve my problems because I have to have A/C(and a reliable one at that) and I have to keep my temps under control because I can tell I loose power at 200+ degrees from detonation. Thanks!
    Let me know what you guys think. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Got my fans today! Looks like a very good setup and the kit is complete down to every electrical connecter that is required. I am impressed with the quality! I will start the install tommorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Is anyone using the dual 15\" electric truck fans from Flex-a-lite?

I've been interested in these fans myself, but I don't have them yet.

You know for cooling, you'd be better off to go with a diesel style radiator. It is about 8" wider than a gas radiator. Wider actually cools better than thicker. You should have all the mounting holes.

In my blazer I absolutely have the block the radiator off completely in the winter, and if it's a cool day it barely gets to thermostat temp. That's with a stock fan and clutch set up.

3. rjfguitar

I have thought about the diesel radiator myself but what I really wish I would have gone with was a 2 core aluminum rad. Besides a new 4 core with proper airflow should keep a 400 SBC cool anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am running this setup like bobk and it works great. I did not have any problem with it while I had my system in the blazer.

[​IMG]

5. rjfguitar

Is that the same fan setup as the flex-a-lite one? It looks a little different. So did you notice a difference in running temp? Your temp under hard use? In hot weather? Does it seem like it pulls more than the stock fan did? Did you feel any power gains without the mech. fan? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

it is a dual 14" fan setup. I had to custom make the fan shroud. Have ran my blazer for a full 12 hours and did not cut it off once (lots of running around town). It never got hot once and it was a 95+* day. I know that it pulls more air them a stock fan does expecially if you have a 3" body lift. Not sure about the power gain though. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif If you don't want to make your own you could use the flex-a-lite setup. the only thing that I worried about with that setup was if it would seal good to the Radiator.

7. rjfguitar

hmmm. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you're blowing through A/C compressors you probably are not running the right amount or type of oil. Also, you must flush the system before you install a new compressor.

They do make products for this purpose available at your local auto parts store.

You might want to replace the drier when you put the new compressor in, that way you can pour the oil in manually and in the correct amount.

9. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

I run the flex-a-lite in my rig. I am very happy with it and it provided full coverage over my entire radiator. i used some stock angle aluminum from home depot and was able to use my stock fan shroud mounting locations at the top and bottom... it was a very clean install and keeps me cool all the time. during the last week we have seen temps at 100 – no issue… it does seem to draw a few amps but nothing off the hook.

[​IMG]

10. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I run the flexalite setup on my blown 454 and it keeps it cool,I did have an issue when I went wheelin and the blades
    all broke off of one fan.The mud being thrown off the blower belt must have slammed the blades.I now have a switch to shut off the fans before I jump off into deep mud.
    the good news is the blades are easy to get from flexalite and I now have spares.

11. rjfguitar

How warm does your 454 run?

12. rjfguitar

I still have a few questions:

1.what about the A/C problems? Am I right about not enough air flow across the condensor?

2. I would like to know how much the stock mech. fan pulls CFM wise so I can compare total airflow with the mechanical vs. the dual 15" fans.

3. I would like to here someone that have them and noticed a large difference from the mechanical fan. like "my running temps dropped 10-15* over the mech. fan after install of the electrics."

Sorry to be pushy but I need to make a decision to spend the $400 or not and if I do I need to get them ordered Monday morning so they can get here and get them installed in time for Blazerfest. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What antifreeze mix are you running? I would run the

I'm kind of re-visiting this issue myself now, since I've been running the new engine on straight water, just in case I had to drain coolant for whatever reason. (just revisiting as in I'm thinking about what mix to run, what engine temp has been, etc)

I obviously grabbed the wrong thermostat and installed it in this engine, as it's running at 185* constantly.

I've got a few advantages over your setup, no tranny cooling to be done, and no AC, so the flow through the radiator is going to be less. I'm also running a 3 core radiator.

As you probably know I'm running dual LS/LT1 fans. I've got a 78 Amp alternator in place, with no other draw. There were rumors these things drew 30 amps each, but I don't buy it.

I can give you an idea of draw though. ECM controls idle. I'm fighting with a bit of a problem at startup, and I just discovered that if I leave the primary fan (only one of the two) running as the ECM is commanding now (related to my other problem I believe) at idle, when idle dips to around 600-750, the draw from the alternator will kill the engine.

Idle is the real problem with those alternators, but as you know, idle is where most have their problems.

If you aren't contemplating going with one of the 140 amp units, (or similar) I think you'd start having electrical problems.

Sorry for the rambling, but there are a bunch of topics to be covered for trying to keep an engine cool.

I have NEVER seen the stock fan CFM rating. I find it hard to believe it pulls more than 5500CFM, but then again, what is the diameter of the thing?

I can't say whether these fans work better than clutched or not. Neither one of my engines ran hot, even with the plugged up two core on the last one. Definitely noticed idle temps climbing MUCH faster with no fan on the two core though...with this new radiator, even with no fan running it never seems to get much over rated thermostat temp. The two core would start climbing the instant you stopped.

You really might start considering a more efficient radiator. Any chance you can sell yours for a different one? I would hate to see you through money at something and not have it solve your problem.

14. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you aren't contemplating going with one of the 140 amp units, (or similar) I think you'd start having electrical problems

[/ QUOTE ]
    What problems do you get from running the higher amp alternator? Just wondering, Thanks
    Jesse

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmm, seems to me that fabbing a custom shroud would cost WAY less than $400. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmm, seems to me that fabbing a custom shroud would cost WAY less than $400. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Well thats not that easy either, The fan sits 3" below the radiator. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

17. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

You really might start considering a more efficient radiator. Any chance you can sell yours for a different one? I would hate to see you through money at something and not have it solve your problem.

[/ QUOTE ] A more efficient radiator? I have a brand new 4 core big block radiator that has been in for 2 months. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I have a hard time believing I don't have enough cooling power with a radiator of that size. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif You don't think it's big enough or efficient enough Dorian?

[ QUOTE ]
    What antifreeze mix are you running?

[/ QUOTE ]
    50% antifreeze 50% water

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Well thats not that easy either, The fan sits 3" below the radiator. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ain't nothing that a bit of sheet metal couldn't fix! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ain't nothing that a bit of sheet metal couldn't fix! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've never messed with sheetmetal like that. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

20. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

My motor is a 350 with Vortec heads (so nowhere near to what yours puts out), and the higher comp has consistently lead to higher runnning temps. My cylinder temp gauge sez its steady around 205, intake gauge usually shows between 195 and 210. I've been using one of these water-wetter additives (orange-neon colored stuff) on advice from a local speed shop - seems to be good for some 5 degrees or so. I'm also happy with the aluminum radiator I have now - it has plastic tanks, but I haven't had any trouble since last spring. I'm aware that the new radiator made essentially all the difference in my case, but why not try that additive?