Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is AT&T cable internet that bad?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyCaGal, Apr 23, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ok... I'm moving (in the process but the house is having work done so it's a long process!).... anyhow I already have cable installed and it's working (it's my grandparents old house I am buying it from my grandma). Anyhow I am so sick of my dial up lets take 4 months to download a song modem I want to go with something else.... I'm thinking cable because they might cut me a deal to have cable tv and the modem. Anyhow the cable I have now is AT&T broadband. I hear it sucks... say it ain't so? Is it really that bad?

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Pacbell's DSL is great and easy to hook up..I have had it for almost 2 years now..Dan

3. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Both myself and Mudhog have at&t cabe. I've been amazed at the speed and the service. I've never had any downtime and it's faster than any dsl in the area. I'll never go back to dsl unless I can get a faster speed for a lower price, which I don't see happening anytime soon. I'm pretty sure Shannon will have good things to say about it too.

-Aaron

-Aaron

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not using AT&T Broadband Cable Internet, but I am using a cable internet service. I much prefer the cable modem over everything else. I've heard about a small satilite dish internet service, but I haven't seen it myself. Anyone know anything about it ??? I'm looking at a house way out in the sticks, no cable service, and dial up is so slow !!!

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

do your self a favor and dont even bother tryin to deal with AT&T...took them 4 trips out to my house to try to get the service to work...and they still couldent get it to work and then expected me to pay for a month of service i couldent even get on...so i told them to f-off and went with pac bell DSL....alot mo betta...go with pac bell.. pac bell DSL = Good ....ATT=bad...your choice

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I checked into the satilite it was expinsive..I pulled this off of Starbands site....
    The suggested retail price, which again may vary at the sole discretion of the distribution
    partner, includes $499 for the StarBand Model 360 equipment package. This includes
    both the indoor and outdoor equipment to get standalone StarBand service up and
    running. The price for installation varies based on each customer's requirements,
    installation quotes are available from any authorized StarBand sales partner. Monthly
    service fees vary based on the value-added products and services included with any
    potential bundled offer; however, StarBand Internet service is suggested to start at
    $69.99 per month.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.starband.com/>http://www.starband.com/</a>

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Probably depends on your local provider/employees. Like Aaron and Shannon, here in Portland/Gresham, Oregon it rocks and have had ZERO outages since I hooked up 8 months ago. Unreal speed and reliability.

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

there customer sevice sucks /forums/images/icons/frown.gif but the speed rocks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif the only real problem i had is when exite went bankrupt /forums/images/icons/frown.gif the speed is better than any dsl in my area unles i want to pay over $100 a month also for having both digital cable and internet i get $10 a month off so the cable internet cost's me $30 a month i run winmx for music tradeing and i have had transfers of 150kbps but most of the time is around 50 to 100kbps so a 5min song takes like 30 seconds to download /forums/images/icons/smile.gif i was on the phone with my sister and she was downloading one of the new ozzy songs and i downloaded the whole album to her one song lol she is on 56k im on cable /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

When it's running it's sweet! You will love it!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif very fast, 1.5 to 1.9MB connection average even though I complain about there customer service I can't ever see myself going back to "dial up" you get very spoiled in no time!/forums/images/icons/smile.gifpretty nice to have the phone line free too!/forums/images/icons/smile.gifthey just have a bunch of monkey's in cust. service/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the customer service, or how it would be in your area. But here in Wa. AT&amp;T has been good to me. I complained when I first got it, They sent me a flier for the week after I had mine installed. $19.95/mo. and install special, but they honered it. The speed did suffer after excite went bankrupt, but its back and better than ever, IMO.

11. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Like dan and chazz I too have pac bell DSL and I am running at a T-1 line speed so I have no bad feed back at all, But with the AT&amp;T I have heard nothing but bad service relating from - busy lines to poor quality of customer service....Just my 2 cents...mike

If you want I can pm you with a site that you can test your speed at I do it a lot to see...

12. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

I work for AT&amp;T Broadband Internet Cust Care!!!
    I'm working there right now LOL!
    For the price and the speed it really can't be beat, Qwest is fine to but I've heard of all kinds of hidden charges just to get it installed?! Either way it has never given me a problem for two years even before I started working with AT&amp;T.

Good thing is I downloaded about 45 songs last night over about 1 and 1/2 hour time span, while surfing on the net!
    Not bad if you ask me...
    Shane-

13. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I want to keep AOL because I have it free until November.... and if I go AT&amp;T then I just pay for the cable service.... I'm gonna try them out. I get the install for cheap and the modem for free (Grandpa worked for Pac Bell for years and has this employee discount card- he did pass away but they still honor it his imediate family, which my mom is). If they suck I will try else where. The area here is all old people, and so the system might not get too bogged down..... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You can run a dial up and the AT&amp;T cable internet at the same time.............for your test or for whatever. I do it on my laptop, have a modem and a network card.............

15. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

If you want you can run AOL through our connection also, there are a lot of people that like AOL's browser but want our speed. Only downside is you're paying for two charges. They also usually let you try it for one month and if you don't like it if you cancel within the first 30 days there's no charge!

Shane-