Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is being happy worth less money?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudFrog, Dec 19, 2002.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1040336003MudFrog">

Is being happy worth making less money?
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Yes
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />No
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Here's the dilema. I'm a Jr. Network Administrator for a company that I'm getting quite tired of. This company has drug me around promising me promotions for the past 2 years (been with them for 4) and then never coming through. Frankly I'm sick of this place, and I'm sick of the IT field. Not to mention I think our branch of the company might be shutting down anyway.

I have a chance to do a job that I have done in the past, but it still touches base with computers. It is with a company that I left over 4 years ago to work for the above company, however I really really enjoyed working there. Well the type of work I will be doing I really don't mind. While it is not computer it will require me to use the internet, code in HTML and fix any PCs or network isssues within this building. However the primary focus of the job would be putting up stock in the warehouse then in the next few months I would take over an area on the counter and sell performance exhaust equipment to the public and on the internet kinda like the ebay store I currently run for this company (this is where the HTML comes into play).

One of the problems is the pay is about $4 an hour less (roughly 8k a year) then I make now. I know thats a small price to pay for being happy but that is a lot of money to me and I need all I can get for bills. Also my wife might be getting a promotion that would make up for my loss of income.

Here is a brief list of pros and cons.

Pro's
    -Being happy
    -No longer on call 24x7x365
    -No more uptight boss's looking over my shoulder and pointing out every little negative thing they can.
    -I would be on my own, I would have a boss but they would not interfere with what I do.
    -I could fulfill my need to build/work on PCs as a second job like I do now.
    -Dealing with cars/trucks
    -I'm sure there are many more

Cons
    -Less money
    -No more free cell phone /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    -No longer in the field that my degree applies to
    -Thats all I can think of

2. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

i say go for it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Life is too short to be miserable at home or work...if you're happy at work you'll be happier at home too and that's never a bad thing.

Rene

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

How about option 3? Another company entirely?

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Life is too short to be miserable at home or work...if you're happy at work you'll be happier at home too and that's never a bad thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should mention that.. My home life has been slowing getting worse and I always suspected it was because of the mood I'm in by the time I get home.

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

It is a differen't company.. I guess I need to clarify some more.

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

As long as your happiness isn't predicated on what you own, I say go for the job that makes you truly happy. I've done this before (although I swore when I was younger that no matter how bad a job sucked, I would stay for money), and it was the best decision I ever made. I took about a 50% pay cut, but I was never happier or more relieved in my life. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My wife recently quit a job she held for 19 years because of the stress and terrible management there. The job she took to replce that one pays her about $3 an hour less plus has fewer benefits. She is much more relaxed and happy at the new job and her general mood at home also improved. More patient with the kids and more tolerant of my crap...

I'm no pleasure to live with when I'm working a job I hate either...

Rene

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If the company wants you bad enough, see if they will meet or come close to, your current pay. Never hurts to ask about it.

10. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

It's always better to make a good life than make a good living, if you are that unhappy at work, it may become obvious to supervisors. Also, is there greater or equal earning potential with the other co.? I have been in the same situation and gone for less, and never regretted it.

11. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Get into your own business...

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Money is not everything, but I still would do a job I disliked for more money vs. a job I like making less.
    My 12 hours is still gone whether I liked it or not.
    I'd rather have more money.
    Some people obviously don't see it my way.
    -- Mike

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I dunno what to tell you. Life dictates it. Before I had kids, I was happy as a pig in poop making horrible money, but on-air doing what I liked, and what I was good at. When I had kids, I changed careers into computers for stability (who knew?) and better pay, but I wasn't really that into it. Didn't dislike it, but it wasn't what I felt when I was on-air. Now, I'd rather be working on a computer than doing anything on air. I grew into it a little better, and it's being kind to me.

I don't know. I'd go for more money, and hope it gets better. While jobs aren't exactly all there these days, it may be the best thing to do.

14. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I would stick it out except I've been feeling like this for the past 2 years, and it's only getting worse. I use to have long conversations with my boss about anything, but now the only time he says something to me is to point out a mistake or ask me about the PC he is trying to build. Granted I think he's under a lot of stress because I'm 99% sure our business is going under within a couple months. Well not really going under but we got bought by a larger company and I think they are gonna shut our branch down.

I've kinda made up my mind that I would rather do what makes me happy and get paid less. I just think it's the best thing to do for me and my family. It seems that lately I can't even hold a conversation with my family without one of us pissing the other off. I'm sure thats not 100% related to my job, but with the stress I'm under from there it sure doesn't help it. I've also noticed that I have barely any tolerance for people anymore, and I know that is related to my job. I get sick of reseting passwords or showing the same person how to make a folder 4 times a week. The fact that our IT dept is pretty sad in the first place doesn't help. Our helpdesk isn't even helpfull. They will not try to fix any issues (mainly because they don't know anything about PCs), they just transfer the phone call to me, so I guess they act more like my secretary.

To those of you wondering about getting more money at the new job. It would actually be working for my Dad's company and he has already told me that he can't pay me what I make now. Only a few people in his branch make what I make now, and it would not be fair for me to come in and start off making more then most people. I can understand that and it really doesn't bother me. If I have to get a second job I will, I just HAVE to get out of my current job.

Thanks for lending me your ear!

15. dbltapp

dbltapp 1/2 ton status

I am in the same boat, pissed off all the time, and it is making the home life harder then it needs to be! My problem is that i am in the military, and must complete my contract! So to answear your question, i would go for what makes you happy, the money will work it's self out! Heck you could always get a second job at a parts store for some extra money, and a discount! My two cents.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

16. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Go for it, man. I'm not making crap for moeny now, but if I could find a job that I'm happier with for less, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat!

17. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Well I was talking to them my dad again, and he said he was gonna try and do everything in his power to keep the pay cut to a minimum. Maybe only looking at a $1 an hour difference now. That would be perfect! But only time will tell. We are gonna explore our options more after the first of the year.

He's actually trying to create a new position for me so I can manage all of the company's websites and this ebay store.

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Do it. Nothing worse than a stressfull job, it's not good for your health or a relationship.

19. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

do it man, for yourself and your family, i wish you the best of luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

Do it. The company I work got bought out 2 years ago, and the benefits/bonuses have gone way down hill. I'm still staying here because at this point, I like what I do, and who I work with. I know I could make more somewhere else.