Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is bias-ply bad?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Aug 20, 2001.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i've heard that radials are better, but i've also heard that bias-plies are better. i'm gettin 33" bias-plied swampers soon and would also like to know if i need different rims for them. some one told me that they need tubes. is that true? if so are tubes bad?

scott,
    1989 suburban 3/4t 4" lift soon to be rollin on 33s, tbi350

2. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

I got bias ply tires (Ground Hawgs) and they suck for street driving. just my 2cents

If you cant go over it...GO THROUGH IT !!! <a target="_blank" href=http://www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com>www.CaliforniaK5Krawlers.com</a>
    75 Jimmy 11" lift with 40's

3. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

there is nothing wrong with bias plys, they dont need tubes, they just dont wear as well on the street. they can also get flat spots from sitting in one place for too long but they go away after two minutes of driving. Im running 36" bias swampers now ahd have no camplaints. i think you can also air bias plys down a few psi more and they have a tougher side wall.

Check out my 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm>http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm</a>

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Bias are better off-road and radial for on-road IMO. I am running 36" Bias Swampers. Now I know what is ment by flat spot. My Blazer sat for 2 weeks and I could feel it the first couple miles.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Here is my two cents worth...... It is a personnal preferance when you say which one is better off-road or not.....It is the way that the tire is built that changes Bias or Radial.....Bias seam to fallow the ruts more than radial...... Some Bias are soft rubber compound and weaar faster and the Bias that are a harder Bias are more bouncy....Bias are normaly harder to keep balanced due to theway the tire wears.....Radials are normally in between the two....

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

6. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

The real reason for having either is personal preference,but a bias tire has more and stronger bias steel belting inside the tire's skin to make it stronger, I always air mine down to 5 psi when wheeling and have yet to poke a hole in one, a radial is made of steel belting that is woven in a cross hatch pattern making it handle better, and it too is also tubeless, your pretty hard pressed anymore to find anything that still uses a tube except for farm stuff and bicycles, and because of the bias tires belts going from side to side instead of cross woven there able to make them alot bigger, hence the 44". That is the primary reason that radials handle better, less sidewall and more development and research went into it to shut the whiners up back in the seventies, a radial usually only has a two ply sidewall, except for BFG which has three, bias have up to ten ply sidewall, radials are more prone to get poked when wheeling, but yet I've had BFG Mud TA's and Swampers, nothing compares to a Swamper or Bogger, I'd rather not hear and have it ride like [censored], than to be able to hear rides nice, and goes nowhere offroad,, just my opinion

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://hometown.aol.com/bcscrapper/myhomepage/index.html>hometown.aol.com/bcscrapper/myhomepage/index.html</a>

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

thanks everyone!

scott,
    1989 suburban 3/4t 4" lift soon to be rollin on 33s, tbi350