Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is costco really a good deal?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by jekbrown, May 13, 2004.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im moving out soon and havent been to costco in 10 years. With Walmarts and Albertsons discount cards out there, is getting a costco membership really worth it? I asked for a Costco membership for my birthday and planned on getting a bunch of necessity type stuff for my new pad, but mom was sayin' that she doesnt think its any cheaper than a Super Walmart store or maybe even Albertsons with their member's card. Who here is a costco regular? whats the skinny? I like the idea of buying TP in packs of 48 rolls to save $... but if its only like 3 cents per roll, I prolly wouldnt bother, lol!

j

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

it is worth the membership, but you just have to watch the prices like everywhere else. Some things are a screaming deal, other things you can get cheaper elsewhere...

3. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

case in point....ive been searching for a specific coleman cooler..costco is 2 buks cheaper than wally world,or fred meyers or any sporting goods store..but they are like 5 buks more on a different cooler im also looking at...made by coleman /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

a 3 lb bag of pre-washed salad is only $1.79

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Oh...you meant things other than salad. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

My mom tells me that boneless skinless chicken is only like 2.99lb for Foster Farms, a lot cheaper than the grocery stores. But like others say it is hit and miss. Pre-mixed salad stuff is cheap as mentioned already, and cheese and I think most meats are cheaper.

Personally I don't like Wal-Mart as a corp. or as a customer (as far as their store layouts n stuff go).

6. jekbrown

ok, the membership will be free (birthdays rock!) so I guess I'll go for it and try costco out for a year to see how it goes. They are building a new one here in Vancouver right now, but I'd prolly go to the portland one to dodge sales tax on the non-food stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

anyway, thanks guys. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

oh, AFA Walmark goes... I love the place. Big corps that have fundamentally conservative values are few and far between these days. I like their prices and their service has always been great too. I think the main reason I like em tho is that your hippy-protestor types of people are starting to hate them for some unknown reason. All the more reason for me to like em... what can I say, I rooted for the Empire in star wars, I live in seahawks land but Im a Raiders fan, I work in portland but Im a Lakers fan. Guess I just like going against the grain. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

haha...thats funny

I really dislike their store layouts more than anything, at least the ones around here. Everything is cramped together, small isles and too many people. But as a company I don't like how they are the largest (or one of the largest) importers of Chinese goods. I guess to sell stuff so cheap they have to, but I don't like they way we import so much stuff from them and export so little (in comparison). Oh well, whatcha gonne do, their ammo prices are sweet LOL /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Oh yeah, their employees generally don't know anything. I guess minimum wage doesn't get you much though...

8. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

There is a reason why we import so much. the true measure of a good economy is not how much we export but how much and what we import. Think of it as a a trade with a neighbor, they do your dirty laundry and you bake cookies. They do ALL your dirty laundry and you trade your cookies, hence they get the crappy job we get the good jobs, hell we were already making cookies weren't we? make sense I hope not I'm kinda drunk. Also with albertsons/safeway cards: they're really just a tool to collect information from you about what you buy, how much, repeat purchases etc. The prices before these programs were about what the member only prices are now, they just get free data(extremely valuable to retailers) from you and you think you're getting a smoking deal.

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

One of the things I like about Costco is the deals You get on stuff like office supplies, camping gear, tools oh and BEER /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Where's there a Costco in Humboldt? Eureaka maybe? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Hell of a drive for some inexpensive beer. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Costco is great for some things. The key is to control yourself..........too easy to spend $200 on stuff you really don't need there. Seriously. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Well for my family of 5 Costco is great! If you decide to buy meat and that sort from them you might consider getting a vacuum saver /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If your Albertsons is anything like the one here you will save big $$ shopping at Costco. Our Albertsons is really nice clean and friendly but DAMN! they are expensive. As for Wallmart, too crowded, I havent shopped there much since my wife started working for a competitor of theirs.

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I ain't ever been to a Costco but we have a Sam's Club, it's the same thing. The best thing about it is the cheap fuel. Their prices are usally 7-10 cents cheaper than the cheapest place in town....

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Where's there a Costco in Humboldt? Eureaka maybe? Hell of a drive for some inexpensive beer.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep been here since about 95' it's in Eureka on Wabash ave. which is off of Broadway. We do most of our major shopping up north anyways since there isn't really to many places to shop in the southern part of the county. We like it that way it keeps all the city folk away.
    /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    If your Albertsons is anything like the one here you will save big $$ shopping at Costco. Our Albertsons is really nice clean and friendly but DAMN! they are expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Albertsons is pretty cheap up yonder, especially if you know how to shop and have a member card (they are free)... expensive is QFC, Zupans, Fred Meyers, or Safeway. cha-ching!

j

16. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Our Albertsons is really nice clean and friendly but DAMN! they are expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Albertsons here in this area are the highest around IMO. We have Raley's, which was voted best grocery store in the nation which is cheaper. To me wtf would I pay more there when I could pay less at a place people rated as better?