Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is dodge still an american company?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by delta9blazer, Jul 2, 2002.

1. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

i know that chrysler was bought by daimler, but i don't know the story on dodge.
    i definitely wanna buy american for the next vehicle, but i don't want to be limited to chevrolet.
    dodge has some sweet rides, but i wanna keep my money at home.
    pt, durango, new charger, etc...

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Nope, they are German now. Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth were all bought under the Chrysler name by Daimler. I don't give a damn what anybody tells ya, they are foreign. I'm from an old steel family, the only foreign car we've ever had was my grandfather's VW Bus back in 82. Only one EVER owned by my family. I'll never buy a foreign car, I like to keep my money where it belongs, in OUR country.

Sorry for the rant.....

3. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

That wasn't a rant..just stating facts. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Chrysler corp. may be own by a forien company, but they are still made here in America by Americans, so it's a fine line as if forien or domestic. I'm kinda confuced /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

5. delta9blazer

thank you for your quick replies.
    btw,
    kawasaki and honda both have manufacturing plants here in the U.S.

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I don't give a damn where they are built, the money is still going overseas.

7. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

So you don't care about the fact that there are quite a few Americans that are making a fairly decent living from these places? If not for them, where would these people work that would pay them reasonably well?

8. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I do respect that, but they also import a lot of the parts to make those cars. I know of a lot of companies around here that make parts for American cars being made in other countries. The auto industry walks a fine line between import and domestic, but you have to look deeper than where the cars are built.

9. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

Look at the mix of parts that are used in our GM vehicles... More parts for these "imports" or nearly so are made here than are made here for our American vehicles... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Parts made in Mexico, assembly in Canada, etc, etc... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif It's ridiculous...

10. delta9blazer

i know where the money goes. my reply was to paul, showing him that extremely japanese companies are building product here.

11. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

as long as I have a good vehicle, doesn't matter if it's American or not...

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hear hear. I second that. Who cares? There's so much crossing the line on every make right now. I want the best buy for my buck, cause Lord knows I have to work my a$$ off for every one of those dollars. My dodge was assembled in Mexico and I'm glad, cause the Mexico trucks have better fit and finish than the U.S. trucks. Just a general fact. Our CHEVORLET Prism has a Toyota engine and drivetrain. And I'm glad of that too, cause everyone knows Toyotas last forever. We've got 2 vehicles with awesome drivetrains, and neither one of them was completely made in America.

Btw, when you buy american just because of that, and not for quality, then our cars won't get any better. If the big 3 have a huge drop in sales because of quality issues, then I bet they'll rectify that situation and quick.

13. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Crysler (Dodge) was bought out by Diamler-Benz, but it is still an American company.

14. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i thought all dodge trucks were made in mexico. I'm not saying that they're owned by them, just assembled. correct me if i'm wrong. it's still in the americas :-)

ARQ.

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If the big 3 have a huge drop in sales because of quality issues, then I bet they'll rectify that situation and quick

[/ QUOTE ]

They did, when the Japanese cars came into the american market. The japanese cars that were forcing the increase in quality used psychology to dominate the market;
    Make a good car cheap. Once everyone's convinced that the cars are better and cheaper, ride the reputation, slowly bring up the price, and you'll still beat american cars when they start competing.

Look at Acura and Lexus. Afaic, Those are just Honda prelude's with gold trim from the factory, and a sticker price that makes a caddy jealous... But people are still buying them, even if a Caddy is comparable and more trouble free. I know pplenty of people on both sides of the fence, and the import people go back for warranty service more!

American cars have seriously improved in quality already, but they have the stigma of being junk!

16. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

As far as I know, all the Dodge trucks are made in Mex - unfortunately though, we can't get the whole lineup over here. Ever seen one of the 94-up Ramchargers? I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one - basically a Tahoe without the price tag.

17. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I'm not much for the quality of foreign cars, either. My wife has a 96 Nissan Pathfinder (I married into this one) that she babies. Changes the oil on time, never gets on it, cleans it all the time, etc. and it is falling apart. It rattles like crazy, lurches, and other stuff. My 92 Firebird is the best car I've ever owned. I've replaced the alternator and that is it. Except for the performance stuff I've done ti it, it is basically stock and runs like a champ, and I get on it all the time.