Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is driveshaft supposed to turn in 2hi in np208?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85chevy4x4, Sep 20, 2002.

1. 85chevy4x4

85chevy4x4 Registered Member

I've been battling with my transfer case lately. I rebuilt it with new forks, and pads. Everything else looks fine. Replaced hubs and had a new driveshaft made. I can't get it into 4lo because it grinds. Linkage is perfect, been adjusted back and forth. The truck will go into 4wd even if i'm in 2hi just by locking the hubs. The front driveshaft always spins and makes a loud whining noise. Is it supposed to turn? Also there is a small spring that goes inside the case. Does it go between the forks on the rod or on the outside of both of the forks next to the case? Trying to go wheeling this weekend and need to figure this thing out.

2. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Can't answer your technical questions but having a 208 I can tell you it most certainly is NOT supposed to turn in 2hi and should not go into four-wheel drive just by manually locking the front hubs.
    Something's definitely wrong.

3. GadgetK5

GadgetK5 Registered Member

I just finished putting my 208 together last night, so it happens to be fresh in my mind:

There is a spring and a retainer that go between the mode fork (2wd/4wd -- the upper fork) and the top of the case. Without this spring, it will never come out of 4wd.

This may cause problems with the grinding, but I don't think so. The range fork is the lower fork; this one drives the annulus gear (sp) -- the really big gear that covers the planetary gear unit. More than likely, grinding is caused by one of the following reasons (from most likey to least likely, IMHO):

Worn stationary gear (bolted to the bottom of the case)
    Worn annulus gear
    Worn pads on range fork (usually causes popping out of 4Lo)
    Worn range fork

I think that's about it. Hope it helps.

4. GadgetK5

Also -- the Haynes manual for my truck was an excellent resource -- it included complete teardown, overhaul and rebuild steps (although it missed a few minor things like the fork retainer springs). The Chilton manual, on the other hand, was completely useless.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have had a few blazers with 208s and they all spin the front driveshaft while going down the road in 2hi!!!!!! THey aren't powering the front shaft but the somethign causes the front shft to turn! It will turn while driving, but I left it in gear once on a hill and got out and could spin the shaft freely. It is just somehting a 208 does. I believe Jess(Highangle Drivelines) also said it will do this and he deals with this stuff professionally!

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

as there is nothing(or should be nothing) to stop the shaft from freewheeling it is normal to see the shaft spinning but not transfering power. I would be more worried if it didnt spin.

7. 85chevy4x4

So the spring goes between the two forks? That is exactly where i have it. From the back of the truck on the case is the fork with the bracket around it with a hole in it. Then the spring, then the fork and the rod going through all of them. I have brand new forks and pads on them just installed last week. The shaft actually does spin though in 2hi, and i just have to lock the hubs to get in 4wd. Is the fork on the outside supposed to attach to the gear selector bracket somehow by the small peg that sticks out?

8. GadgetK5

Not between the forks -- between the upper fork and the back housing.

The upper fork's peg just rests on top of the selecter -- only the lower fork goes in the slot.

I think I have some pics, but I the camera's at home and I won't be able to get the pics dumped until later this weekend.

9. 85chevy4x4

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I just found my problem. I just went and picked up a haynes manual. I've already got 3 chiltons books and all of them show that the spring goes between the forks, they are hard to read. The haynes shows that the spring is between the upper fork and the housing just like you describe Gadgetk5. So it looks like I'll be taking it back apart after this weekend. I'll tear it apart and reassemble and let you guys know if that was the problem.

10. 85chevy4x4

Tore it down last night. Put the spring on the outside and I also had the upper fork in backwards. I flipped it around and now it doesn't stay in 4wd all the time. I still don't have 4lo. It will just grind if I try to put it in. I adjusted the linkage and it's still the same. I'm thinking that maybe the synchronizer is wore causing it not to go into 4lo.

11. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

try shifting into 4 lo with the engine turned off, you still need to adress the prob but maybe it will at least allow you to wheel!?

12. 85chevy4x4

I tried to shift into 4lo with the motor turned off. As soon as I put it into gear it will grind. Something has to be wrong in there. I'm going to have to tear it down again. I went wheeling all weekend in 4hi and it did really well. It would have been nice on the rocks to use 4lo. For now it works fine in 4hi until I rebuild it again.