Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is Illinois the midwest???

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by laketex, Nov 24, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

As some of you know, we're thinking of moving to Batavia, Ill in January if the company I'm looking at makes a decent offer. Thanks to Krazie and a couple others, I know that the Badlands are about 3 hours away. Is there anything local? Now on to more close to home things. My rig has no fenders, modified hood, bobbed, chopped top, no doors, signal lights can not be seen from the sides, ect. What changes do I need to make for it to be street legal in Illinois or am I ok? I'm lifted 4" on 38's and hoping to make this a winter driver with 35's or so and a soft top/soft doors. Is this possible or will I get hassled to no end? Here's a pic of my truck so yall can get a better idea for what I'm talking about. Thanks for any comments you can make.

[image]http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/950383[/image]

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Yes, Illinois is the "Midwest". Ive never had any problems with the cops and my trucks. The only thing that might be a problem is no fenders. Some of the bigger city cops may hassle ya but you ought to be alright.

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

BTW - Batavia counts as one of those "bigger cities"! I have been hassled a few times for bumper height... but with your setup... I'm not sure I would count on driving it on the roads, that is unless you are driving it AWAY from civilization like Batavia! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And YES, IL is most definately in the Midwest! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif We'd be glad to have you up here! Hope your recent visit went well for you. Are you any closer to making a decision?

-Dan

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I got your PM as well, but I'll answer here. Sorry I didn't get to call you, but they kept me pretty busy at the plant. We did get to take in chicago friday night by way of the metra train. Too cool. I should get an offer on Monday, and know for sure by the end of the week. I'm thinking if I move to illinois, will probably sell the K5 and buy a 4 runner or more stock acting chebby...I hate that I just built it like this and now want to sell it, but oh well, what can ya do?

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

It would be nice to have a fellow Chevy and Cummins lover up here!

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Aww Man! Don't sell your rig! You have one thing right, buy the Four Runner or everyday rig and keep the K5 for Trail use. The Winter's here are unbearable at times when your everyday vehicle has "Holes the size that Babies can fit through" (Famous Billy Bob quote). I couldn't load the pic of your rig. Would like to see you attend some of our runs around the Midwest. Good luck on the move!

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

See that's the problem, we have a 2002 Dodge cummins 2wd and a geo prism right now. My wife would really like something different, but we can't really afford the change from a very reliable car to a non reliable 4x4. We'll be living in a townhome so 3 vehicles is really overkill but managable. 4 vehicles would be outrageous. And one that I have to work on often is not cool....I dont know for certain, but I've emailed some guys about a samurai and one toyota xcab. We'll see.

8. KRAZIE87K5

Do you have a verdict yet? Did you get your offer? Will you be here for Christmas?!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Here's the pics of my truck...

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=garage&Number=579192&page=9&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Job post:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=non4x4&Number=589803&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

In other words, i just still dont know. But if I come up there, It'll be mid Jan. I just dont have a clue what the **** to do! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i cant see much trouble from law enforcement concerning your rig as long as front and rear lights work and something is covering tire treads out to outer edges of the treads and if has seatbelts

wow youre a contractor at 24 ? howd you manage that ? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

welcome to cornfield and snow filled IL

im 2 hours south of you on I-55/I-155 if youre in the windy city

11. KRAZIE87K5

Ha! You obviously havent driven up North here have you? I've been hit for my bumper height, frame height, no front plate, and piss poor emissions.... just to name a few! I would guess that if Brian's truck hits the pavement in northern IL that it wouldnt last more than 5 minutes on the main streets! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

12. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Speaking of piss poor emissions, how the FI swap coming along?

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hell I was a contractor at 16. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

It may see 5 min of street time depending on how long it takes to get it in your driveway!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I loved this truck, but it's time for something streetable in the winter! How's the 4.3 swapout going?

15. KRAZIE87K5

Don't talk to me about 4.3L swaps... its not going at all. The dude "Joe" that was helping has fallen off the face of the earth... and he was the one that took out the engine... and HID ALL THE DAMN BOLTS.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

-Dan

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Might have been cheaper to buy your own hoist! What do I need to buy you for my swap???

17. KRAZIE87K5

LOL... on that note, he bought me a $79 Craftsman Tap and Die set, and a $139 Ball joint press today seeing as his cousin ditched me... I guess these two tool sets are my reward for putting up with this BS. I feel a little better about it now I guess... tonight I will be in the garage tapping out the exhaust manifolds. YEA ME! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

-Dan

18. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Maybe he was tired of bleeding over his cousin's rig. haha. That guy was just about accident prone. How much longer till it's done? If you need a hand wrenching tommorrow, let me know.

Bryan

19. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i wont be going up north then, not with a lifted 4x4. theres an 87 locally longfleet pickup thats lifted so high that the rockers are probably at my shoulders and im 6 foot tall. tires do stick out of the wheel wells about 3" or so. nice sharp truck painted in american flag scheme, sharp, i think a HS student owns it its at the Rec center out there every night, and theres a group of kids(read that my age or little younger) that do nothing but mess with and modify 4x4's in a garage over next to a couple of tire dealers out on Limit street commercial area, i went by today and theyve got a puke green toyota or soemthing similar truck lifted jacked up on at least 35"s. sharp but its a jap truck, they have chevies i know, and later 80;s ones even,