Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it a 205 or what?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Oct 18, 2000.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I stumbled across a potential find yesterday. I was at one of the local self serve wrecking yards and I came across a T-case lying underneath a Blazer. The tag on it was missing and so was the shifter so I can't ID it that way, but it appears to be a 205. It has the speedo cable fitting on the right side of the rear driveshaft output housing and to the right of the fill plug there's a circle that's held on by three bolts. As far as I know those are characteristics of a 205, but I'd like to be sure before I spend $100 to buy the thing. Is there any other way to ID it? If it's still there by Saturday, I'll open it up and hopefully there won't be a chain in it! I also got the casting number of it. Is there a source online (preferrably) with a list of T-case casting numerbs? Here it is by the way c-99404. Thanks, I appreciate it.[​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

If it does not have a tailhousing that sticks out of the main body of the case by about 10", then itsa 205. Better give me the address of the wrecker and I'll go check it out for you! I promise not to buy it!! (Hehehehe)

ken

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

If it has that inspection plate that's about the size of a silver dollar and held on by three bolts, it's your 205.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blaze- 350/350/203, 14B w/detroit, D44, 4.11s, 4" susp, 36" TSL

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yep, Laketex is right. Thats the easiest way to identify one.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Check the year of the blazer it was sitting under. That ought to give you a good idea. I know the yards around here put make modle and year on the window in some weird lettering. Maybee that will help.

Sparky

78 K-5

6. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I tried to figure out what year it was and it appeared to be from the late '70s, so it is possbily a 205. And with what the other guys are saying and what I know, I'm pretty sure it is a 205. I won't have a chance to examine it today, but I should be able to stop by and hide it. I actually should have done that yesterday as it might not be there today. I forgot to mention the tailgate. The truck is an older rig, but I guess the last owner had replaced the tailgate with a newer one, COMPLETELY rust free. I didn't have any tools with me, so I went down the street and I bought an adjustable wrench for $5, and I pulled it. It cost me $45!!! I'm going to spray the inside with rubberized undercoat to keep it nice and rust free.
    BTW, what should I look for when I examine the 205 to determine it's condition? Thanks.

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

This 205 you're looking at, what tranny was it behind? If it was a late 70s 4x4 then it was behind a 4 speed and will not work behind an auto trans. Do you have an auto trans? Consider that when you buy a 205, I personally would not buy one that didn't fit my application, as adapters are expensive.

ken

8. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

The truth is I don't know if it was stick or auto. The tranny was missing, but I can check the floor pan and steering column to see where the shifter was, that will determine what tranny was in there. I do plan on running an automatic, so I'm really glad you pointed that out. I do want to avoid an adapter. I need more info to see if it'll fit with my plans, otherwise I won't buy it. What else should I consider? Thanks.

9. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

The out put shaft on the tranny side is the way to tell what tranny it is. Course 10 spline is the 4 speed and a fine 32 is the Th350. The TH400 aslo is fine but I don't remember the the number

10. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I did count the spline and it's a 27, so I guess it was an automatic, which is good in my case, 'cause that's what I want. I apprecaite ALL input, so keep it coming! I'm doing some learning here. [​IMG]