Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is it a bad idea...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Apr 11, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    When I get my engine pulled and all done up I know I wil have to wait a little before I can put it back in the truck. So I was wondering if it was ok to start a engine up while it was on a engine stand. I would have the rad hooked up, and everything you would need to get a engine running.
    Thanks
    Adam

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I would think that the torque of the engine would want to make it flop on it's side.

3. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Thats kinda what I was thinking.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you're bored and really want too hear it run, you can always build a "stand" . Maybe cut the front half of a frame off a truck in a salvage yard, weld some legs on it so it's stable and raises it up off the ground. Just a idea. Might be good for mocking up stuff.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Assuming you have to break the engine in anyways, I wouldn't waste tme coming up with a stand for a one-time engine build. Just doesn't seem worthwhile when the vehicle it's going into is right there anyways. :)

If I *were* coming up with a stand, I'd start thinking about exhaust and what not, because if I had to do a cam break in, that's a long time to be listening to an unmuffled engine. And thats just more effort for temporary use.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Dont start it on a stand....

Trust me--it WILL tip over if you start it up on an engine stand!--unless the stand is firmly bolted down to something--but most stands wont allow you to put a starter on,or have enough clearance for the flywheel--most automatic flexplate equipped motors can "kick back" when you try to start them without a torque converter on it,they act as a flywheel...I'd be very careful if you decide to try this on a stand--especially if its a cheap one,or a "3 legger".. :yikes:

I took the engine crossmember out of a 71 K10 suburban I had junked and made a engine "test stand" so I could demonstrate motors I had for sale at swap meets--was fairly easy to make,and it worked well..One guy who bought one of the motors I was selling liked it,and I told him for 100 more I'd sell it with the motor--and he bought it! :laugh:

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ive never had one tip over....

i have started then up laying out in driveway..

some just sitting on oil pan on top of a flat wooden pallet,..

they dont tip, not for me

you wont hurt anything as long as you dont overheat it or something

i start one up out of vehicle now and then,

its pretty easy, just gas is all needed, and a battery

just to run it for a few seconds at least, less you want ot run longer then you will want radiator and manifolds and/or head pipes

good luck

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

We did start some on the ground too...

We did start up quite a few motors on the ground at the junkyard,but most of them still had the tranny bolted to them..we'd prop them up with tires and rims under each motor mount bracket,or use wood pallets--but we learned the hard way not too "goose" it!--if you rev them up they will try to flip right over!--we had a 455 olds motor do a tumbleweed impression when the customer decided to rev it up and see if it had flat cam lobes.. :blush:

One other junkyard I go too starts the motors while they hang from 2 chains suspended by the forkloader!--now THATs scary!... :crazy: