Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it a bluff? We're all getting sued

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TXsizeK5, Jun 26, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Is it a bluff? We\'re all getting sued

I read something on the front page that some Music Association is going to start tracking people with a large amount of shared music and start issuing law suits... anyone else heard about this? Thoughts?

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Re: Is it a bluff? We\'re all getting sued

I'd like to know what they consider a 'large amount of music'.

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thoughts....?

They can cling tenaciously to my buttocks and orally copulate me.

My music purchases have gone down since the 'trading' and sharing thoughts of cool music has decreased. I don't get the exposure to the music I like from the shite they PAY the radio stations to play. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

The paper said they have not decided yet. So I guess we're soon to find out.

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My music purchases have gone down since the 'trading' and sharing thoughts of cool music has decreased. I don't get the exposure to the music I like from the shite they PAY the radio stations to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true, so true. I pay for my cable internet connection with the money I used to budget for CD's.

I doubt they'll look for me; I only share ~1200 files.

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I share ~ 500-700 so if you get caught let me know, maybe I'll back off. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I've gotten lazy and started DL albumwrap files. It's just soooooooo much easier. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok seeing that you guys got that much i feel safe about the 200 songs sittin in my computer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I've boosted my download count the last week while unemployed. I don't have anything better to do. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

we should be safe, we only have like 3,000 files but we only download (puff), we dont share (inhale) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    It slows down the connection /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

That's bad file-sharing karma! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

no biggie, just change your shared folder to one that has ZERO files in it so you dont look like a big time playah. Every week or so, burn all ur DLs to CDs and erase them from the HD so even if they h4X0|2 ur HD they wont see chit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

13. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I've got probably every song or movie available on the internet on my computer and I could care less. I don't share a single file, once I download it, I move it to a different file. Plus I have a firewall with imesh lite installed, so they wouldn't have a way to get into my computer without alerting me. It's not like everyone in the U.S. is going to get sued, I could care less.

14. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

What kind of DL speeds do you get with imesh lite (on the average)?

15. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

50-60 k/s. Imesh is much faster than kazaa lite in my experience. Kazaa has more people, but they all have pretty much the same files anyways. I much prefer imesh lite to kazaa. I can hit up to 400 k/s if I get the right combination of people, and speeds over 100 k/s aren't that uncommon. Right now it's going 80 k/s.

16. mudgition

mudgition 1/2 ton status

Well, I feel it's time for the unpopular opinion.

If the artists are getting paid for their music to be on a given website that shares files, fine, they signed a contract and everyones happy.

If music is bootlegged and then put out there for everyone and thier dog to download without the artist seeing a dime for thier efforts, that's stealing and everyone that has that song is in possesion of stolen property.

I don't care one bit if the record company makes one dime off of someone else's effort. they are just in it for the money. The artist is the one who was inspired to write and record the work.

Even if you pay .50 cents for each download, I would be in total agreement with the process.

That is my two cents.

I know that I am going to be brow beat for this one. It's the American way. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

17. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

CD cost breakdown

I completely agree that the artists deserve to be paid for their work. If the chart in the link above is fairly accurate, then they're only getting $2 from a CD. I realize all the other costs involved, but $17 (give or take) for a disc is rediculous. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif And (for me personally) there aren't but a few albums that are actually worth that price.

It's a difficult situation to deal with, but the greedy recording industry needs to pull its head out of its a$$. It's time to use file sharing to its full potential. Lower prices and the artists get the money. Seems like an easy concept to me.

18. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

My personal opinion is that until artists start coming out with more than 1 or 2 good songs on a cd that costs me 20 bucks I have no reason to buy it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Now saying that, I have bought a few cds recently because of quality throughout the cd...so I don't feel bad at all /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

firewall, heh. if you really think the government cant get around that, I have a bridge to sell you. I agree that they aint gonna sue "every one" and that there is really nuttin to worry about, but if they wanted to know whats on ur pc there are ways to get the info.

j

20. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

OH NO! Somebody is going to sue us all? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'm so scared... Now what do we do? Let's all run and hide..

What kills me is how the artists of today and all the other hollywood wankers, stars and media think they are SOOOOOO important.. These people are way too into themselves.... So what are they gonna do? Sue some 12 year old girl for having some music on her computer? Maybe take all her bubble gum away? That'll show us huh? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif