Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is it a dana 44 or a 60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88burb, Jan 27, 2005.

1. 88burb

88burb Registered Member

k guys i found a really good deal on a dana 60 $900.00 is all he wants but i went to look at it and it looked like a 44 to me how do i tell for sure it is a 60 the guy swears it a 60 but he couldnt tell me what it came off of he said he bought a new house and the old owners just left it there in the shed and it looks like its in pretty good shape no rust at all and gears look brand new on it so please help me........ thanks lance

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a little bit of searching could pull this up.

3 ubolts
    kingpins instead of balljoints
    steering arm has 4 nuts instead of 3 holding it on

3. short sub

short sub Registered Member

hey, the easiest ways to tell its a 60- check and see if it has balljoints- if it has ball joints its a dana 44 if it has kingpins its a 60. Next if it takes 4 u bolts to hold the leaf springs on to the axle its a dana 44, if it takes 2 u bolts on the drivers side and on the passenger side there is one u bolt and two regular hex head bolts (5/8" i believe) then its definetly a dana 60. Well hopefully ive helped you- good luck lata

4. digity

digity 1/2 ton status

In front of the axle, bottom right hand corner just outside diff. cover It'll be stamped on there 44 or 60.:)

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Lots of newer Ford and Dodge 60's use balljoints instead of kingpins, and they are rare but out there... old Dodge pass side drop D44's w/ only 3 ubolts and 2 studs... so they look like a 60...but w/ the wrong steering arm.

Chances are if it has a place for only 3 ubolts and has kingpins, it is a 60... but check the casting on the housing just to make SURE!!