Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is it actually a 76-77?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74?k5owner, Oct 24, 2006.

1. 74?k5owner

74?k5owner Newbie

i have recently purcheased a k5 that is titled as a 74.title and vin tag on blazer match or course,but the k5 has a half cab and partial removeable top.has someone put a different vin tag on this k5 at one time?any tips wood be great.

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It's possible, that you have a rare prototype that GM ended up selling.
    What's the manufacturing date on the VIN plate?

Rather unlikly though.. Probably somebody switched something, plates, cab, something. You might be able to find a VIN on the frame rails, usally near the passenger footwell area. See if it matches.
    You could contact Chevrolet and they can run down the history for you. Search for restoration package phone number on here, for the number.

3. 74?k5owner

74?k5owner Newbie

ill have to check into that thanks,i wasnt sure where to look.it also has a small hub front axle and the new style grill,and gas fill with no door.though axle and grill could have been swapped before,but i doubt that.looks as if nothing has been modified on to speak of.any help on a new rear shaft wood be great too.it had th350 203 and im putting in th400 205 combo from 80 truck.slip yoke on 205 rear output.front shaft will be no prob,got what i need there.any idea how much longer front shaft wood be needed if i wanted to go with a 6inch lift instead of a 4?thanks the production number on title says it is number 57,210

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

new tags...

Someone most likely put older VIN tags on it,to avoid emission testing!..

I would not bring this to anyone's attention,especially the RMV!--they might find the tags were swapped,and make you either dispose of it,or they might even confiscate it...I'd let sleeping dogs lie!...if it were a "real" 74,it would have a one peice fiberglass top,all K5's did until 75....:crazy:

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

i'd leave it alone and build it as you wish, don't involve the feds if ya don't need to,LOL

6. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

here ya go....

How do I get the Chevrolet Restoration Pack?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]This free packet from Chevrolet Motors is the ultimate reference for your old truck. Have your VIN number handy when contacting them for this free pack.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Chevrolet Motor Division[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]General Motors Corporation[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]P O Box 7047[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Troy, Michigan 48007-7047[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Phone: 1-800-222-1020[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]When you finally get through. Ask for a "Restoration Package" (it's free in the USA). They will want your Vehicle Identification Number and year for your truck. The restoration package they send includes complete engineering specifications for your year truck, and also a very long list of parts vendors for classic Chevys.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]NOTE: The USA Restoration Pack will NOT give you specific information for your individual vehicle, but generic info for the model year of your truck.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]For our brothers in Canada, you should contact:[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]GM Canada Vintage Vehicle Services[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Phone: (in Canada) 1-888-467-6853, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. EASTERN time. (Outside Canada 1-905-644-3387 or 1-905-644-4060).[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Unlike the US Restoration Packs, GM Canada charges for theirs; however, unlike the USA version, you WILL receive information specific to your particular truck. The cost is as follows:[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]For vehicles 1963 & older: $25.00 (CDN) + GST & PST (Ont.)[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]for 1964 to current vehicles: $45.00 (CDN) + GST & PST (Ont.)[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Once again, those prices are in Canadian dollars![/SIZE][/FONT]