Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it bad to weld over rusty metal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Apr 15, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, I have a chucnk of 3/16 metal that has surface rust on it, I sanded some off, but theres still some left, (I dont have a working grinder) So I was wondering would it be okay to weld over it? Or no? Thanks

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Weld away /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yipee! I just got it all hooked up in the last hour and have been inching trying to weld but this question came up. Thanks!

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If you can't get a good contact tho, then you'll have to clean it up a little more /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll always get the strongest weld on clean, rust-free metal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

flux core will weld through almost anything (that is all that some of us little guys can afford)

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

we could have a long discussion about the effects of rust on welding... there are certain rods or wires that can help and are specifically designed for "dirty" metal... if its a critical part I would not weld over any rusty metal ... but this is common sense.. in the real world of welding do your best to clean the surface mechanically... or by sandblasting... and then weld...

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    flux core will weld through almost anything (that is all that some of us little guys can afford)

[/ QUOTE ]

And a stick welder will weld through anything. Seriously I have welded through some thick paint, dirt and grease, hydraulic fluid, you name it. Granted these were not permanent fixes but for emergency repairs to our backhoe in the field a good ol fashioned buzz box can't be beat.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    we could have a long discussion about the affects of rust on welding... there are certain rods or wires that can help and are specifically designed for "dirty" metal... if its a critical part I would not weld over any rusty metal ... but this is common sense.. in the real world of welding do your best to clean the surface mechanically... or by sandblasting... and then weld...

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was actually building something I would use the common sense to make sure it is completly clean and preped. I was just practicing on a flap piece of metal because I'm not very good and i just got the welder going. The welds didn't agree with the rust anyways... have to find the grinder I guess... Thanks for the replies folks! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. 82 silverado 4x

82 silverado 4x Newbie

I have the Millermatic 175 and have found that if I'm working with the garage doors closed, mine does a nice job at 20. If I have the doors open and there is any breeze 25-30 is runs a cleaner bead. Flux core is better to use if you are welding outside and will be more forgiving on metal with some rust. Just my .02 .
    Even a total novice, with just a little practice, can lay down nice bead with these machines in a short time.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yeah, Im a novice, and I got one that looks like silly string sprayed on it, and one arlight one that has a air bubble at the end.

12. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I've been told flux core is junk but it seems to be working well for me. I'm a rookie though and I've had more than my fair share of silly sting/booger welds. I also have a tendancy to burn through sheetmetal /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've had more than my fair share of silly sting/booger welds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll probaly have lots of those in the next few months /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

14. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    There's a big difference between striking an arc that melts a couple of pieces of steel together and making a good weld. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Rust, dirt, oil, etc. leave small imperfections in the weld, making it weaker than a weld between two clean surfaces. That's why critical welds in industry are typically X-rayed. The weld may look fine to the naked eye, but be full of holes just below the surface. Over time cracks begin at the holes and the weld fails. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

15. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I agree with all of the above prep. I prep all of my structural steel with a flap disk and denatured alcohol (no oil residue from the steel shop). I have done strength testin beyond that of just smacking with a hammer. It has take me about a year of welding regularly to get the skill to lay a good flux bead. It is what I have and what I use. I have no garage just a very drafty carport/driveway. A real mig would probably piss me off (I have used nice 220V miller's and hobarts and they are wow-nice). I can whore post some welds if you want to see what a crappy flux welder is capable of. Plenty of AZ guys can attest to my ability. I am not saying that flux is better at all nor am I a pro welder, just that in time I learned it's limitations and work around them.

16. TruckNutzDude

I've learned the limitations of flux core also. I made a double tube bumper for my old K5 and at the end of about 25 wheeling trips it changed into a single tube bumper. Hmm.. weird. I didn't prep the surface well and it was my first attempt at welding so I wasn't suprised at all. I'm getting much better now and I think my next bumper will hold up better.

17. HarryH3

I've had a small Lincoln wire feed welder for several years. I have the gas conversion kit for it, but have never installed it. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif It does everything that I want it to do with the flux core wire. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Someday I may get around to getting a gas bottle for it, but then it loses one of its main features - portability. I like that it will run on 120 volts and that I can just pick it up and take it over to a buddies house to weld stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif When I need to weld thicker metal than this welder can handle (which isn't often) I can still tack things together how I want them and then have someone with a big welder finish it up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For those having welds fall apart /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I recommend picking up (and reading!) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif the Welders Handbook from HP Books. It's available from Amazon, Summit Racing, and even Home Depot. It has some pretty good info on all types of welding. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    For those having welds fall apart /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I recommend picking up (and reading!) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif the Welders Handbook from HP Books. It's available from Amazon, Summit Racing, and even Home Depot. It has some pretty good info on all types of welding. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting that along with some other books, I need to learn /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting that along with some other books, I need to learn /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I weld like a blind man... Good thing I can read /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif I'll have to pick one of those books up. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I weld like a blind man...

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone ever see the Red Green show. It's basically about this country hick that fixes damn near everything with duct tape. One day he decided he was gonna weld a lawn chair to a radio tower so he could watch the local race without having to pay. So he gets the chair up there and doesn't have a welding mask so he just looks away and waves the electrode around....after the sparks clear the chair falls off the tower and his wedding ring is welded to his belt buckle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif