Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is it better to have more or less Back spacing?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigoltrux77, Feb 12, 2006.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

I know yall prolly think this is a stupid question but im asking it anyway. Im looking for some wheels as was wondering what will more backspacing do the the stance of the tires? What about Less backspacing? Another question i got is do yall think 37x12.50 are two skinny for a K5? The truck im buying from fourwheelerjeff has 8" suspension lift and some bald 35s. Im in the market for some good offroad tires that wont wear out on the road too quick. Not that itll be my DD or anything. Will 8" clear the 40" MTRs with a little trimming or alot?

PS- i didd try to search these answers, i might not be searching right.

2. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

Also, with a 14-15" wide tire, would you get 10" or 12" wide wheel?

3. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

backspacing isnt about being better or worse, its just that it allows for clearence and makes your tires stick out further. i think if you have more backspacing your tires stick out far and can give you that mexican lowrider look. im not sure what the backspacing is for our trucks tho

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The more backspacing/offset you have the harder it is on wheel bearings. Like others have said though, it depends on what size tire you're going to run that you need to make clear things.

5. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you want as little as possible. It will increase the scrub radius, stressing everything in the front end more. And with 8" of lift and 40 inch MTR's you should only have to trim a little off the fender, again this depends on your backspacing. On a side note, I have them on my Silverado in 35 and on my fiancee's Rubicon in 31 and they wear pretty fast. Gonna want an AT tread if you are going for long lasting