Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Is it crazy that I think about cars all day long?"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigbluesuburban, Apr 26, 2006.

1. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

That is the question I was asked today.

I and a friend have a shop just north of town where we work on our junk. Next door to us is a guy who makes movie props. He actually made the guns for MIB. VERY COOL! Well he has a son who owns an Eclipse. And his son, who has never been formally trained to do body work or paint has singlehandedly molded in a body kit, shaves everything that could be shaved, designed and installed remote doors, and is preparing to paint his car.

He and I are striking up a friendship. I help him with some technical advice and he is there to hand me a wrench every now and then.

So anyway, out of the blue he turns to me and says "Is it crazy that i think about cars all day long?" I smile a little and reply... "NOPE, But then again you are talking to a guy who thinks about trucks all day long."

The moral of the story... well I don't know if there is a moral, but the point for me is this. It is great to see a young man taking initiative and just trying to learn how to do things the old fashioned way, trial and error.

His father says that he has read every car magazine ever printed for the past 10 years and learned all he knows about body work from reading the articles.

It is good to see a kid who has the desire. I wish there were more of them.

nuff sed...

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I learned most of my initial stuff by reading mags. My parents werent to fond of my interest mostly because the local guys who were into cars were also into drinking and other things my parents didn't want me doing. cool story

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm impressed that there's a kid out there in the import-performance scene who's willing to do all the work himself, and learn to do it right. Good for him!

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It is not crazy to think about cars all day .

The guys who think about cars all day are the guys who are the best breed of men .

We are destined to rule the world after WWIII :thumb:

5. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yeah thats pretty impressive.

I learned everything I know because I bought an old truck. It would break down and I would have no one to help me so it was either dive in and learn how to fix it or walk. My dad showed me a few things when I bought it like how to change the oil, check all the fluids, and change belts and plugs. I learned lots of stuff from here but most of the time I had to just dive in and see what I could do.

I also think aboot trucks all day. well when Im not thinking aboot girls

6. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Lol, I'm still learning everything the trial and error way. Nearly everything i attempt, I end up screwing something up. Like right now, I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to fix my fuel line connector that's stripped because i must've threaded it crooked or some crap.

I really don't know anyone that can teach me things, my dad only knows stuff about Volkswagens:haha: and everyone else just gives me advice, but noone I know will actually teach me. :crazy:

Oh well, I'll just keep on doin what I been doin and hope I don't blow nothing up! :rolleyes:

7. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My dad has been working on cars since he was 13. whenever I get stumped I can call him and before I get done telling him the problem he knows the answer. Only problem is that my parents are divorced and he lives 2 hours away so its kinda hard for him to teach me stuff.

8. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

omg we are exactly alike lmao....i stripped out my fuel body by putting it in crooked:eek1:

9. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Wow, someone else has actually done it! I felt like such an idiot when I realized it stripped it out. I told my dad and he just shook his head and walked off. I was really embarassed to ask the autoparts store for a new inlet.

Oh well, I guess you have to learn somehow...