Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it dead?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by brian, Sep 8, 2001.

1. brian

brian Newbie

I am very upset right now. A couple weeks ago someone dropped a bunch of barkdust and crap into the gas tank of my '72 (along with keying the new paint). Now the filter clogs every few miles. I do have plans to drop the tank and clean it. The main problems are that she has started to hesitate (so bad that I can't drive her) and smoke. The motor is the original 350 with 161,000 mi. I realize it is an old motor and a number of things can contribute to these symptoms. I have cheked the electrical system, the timing, the carb is new, and visually cheked everything. I did notice that the accelerator pump doesn't come up very quickly after the accelerator is pushed. Could this be the problem? Do the symptoms fit the profile of a dying motor? Help!

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I hate to say this but, you probably did more damage by driving it than leaving it alone. However, if it was bark dust/wood chips, they would float to the top. Dirt would sink to the bottom , and most of it would get caught by the filter bag, and the remainder would get caught by fuel filter. Until the filter clogs that is, and the bypass kicks in. At that point your in trouble.

You should just drain and drop the tank ASAP. Then flush the line with clean gasoline until you dont see anything else left.

An oil change is also a good idea.

Hopefully the hessitation is just the filter bag being clogged and preventing fuel flow.

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

What color is the smoke? Is it persistent or is it only on deceleration, only on acceleration, only at idle?