Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it even possible to get my truck down to about 4500 pounds???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Nov 12, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Here are my current specs.

1987 GMC Jimmy
    350 TBI
    TH400
    NP203 & NP205 with ORD Doubler
    High Angle 1 ton shaft's
    Dana 60 front with 5.13s, ARB, 1410 yoke, ARB, plated cover, and hydro-assist
    14 Bolt FF with 5.13's detroit, plated cover, and disc brakes
    Custom Alcan spring's 49" up front & 57's in the rear
    42x15x15 TSL's with steel ARE wagon wheels
    summit plastic bucket seat's
    no bumpres right now

Other weight items:
    CO2 tank
    full 31 gallon tank of fuel
    tools
    full size spare

Here is my dilema...

...I do not feel like buying a new truck and trailer to tow my trail rig, and I do not want to buy an older truck that will only be used as a tow vehicle to get the truck to the offroad parks in PA, Paragon is 2 hours from my house and Rausche Creek is 3 hours. If I can keep the trailer weight to 6000 lbs, I can tow it with my 92 blazer or just about any half ton truck and my current trailer.

This blows...anyone want to buy my 92 FS Blazer??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just pull it! Get yourself a good hitch setup. That means equalizer bars, dual cam sway control, load the trailer properly, and keep speed limited to 55 MPH as trailer sway increases with speed.

If you're not trying to be a speed demon you could probably pull it off.

Too bad you're not closer, I'd sell ya my C30 for $1500 in a heartbeat...and it already has a Teknosha Prodigy, a class 4 hitch, electric brakes wired in the box AND at the bumper....

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Pete,

You already know the answer.....even as you type the question!!!

"light" costs heavy money!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

With what you'd spend creating a light truck and trailer, you could EASILY sell the existing tow rig, and buy something more suited to the task...

Sometimes the answers are boring, but simple. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

how much do you waigh now and how much do you care abought comfort? In my old nova to get the waight down I got rid of all the climat control that means heater included door pannels gone any thinking in the cab except gages and a place to put my rear you would be suprized what all that trim waighs carpet in a blazer that at least 25lb if your in a state with no polution get rid of the smog stuff. then their is fiber glass fenders and hoods. get rid of the tale gate have that made as part of the soft top. if you want to get in the engine you could shed 200lb esy buy using aluminum heads, water pump, balencer, headers.
    Just some Idas its alot esyer im my drag car becuse your only in it for 10sec or less. so comfort isnt a major isue.

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    [ QUOTE ]
    the weight is 5640. Without my tools, jack and a little gas would be around 5500 I would think

[/ QUOTE ]

For guessing the weight of my k5 I have been using the UAV it is very close to the way I will be running next summer – the cage and I will have the half cab
    From what I can tell we will almost have the same setup ( but I want your th400 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

my trailer is 7000 i am looking to get the ramjetgmc to 6000 allso the trailer is 1000 = 7000

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My truck is at 5000lbs, no interior trim, carpet, padding, insulation, etc. Small radiator, No AC, manual trans, 205, 10 bolts, 33x10.5R15's. No additional stuff to add weight I can think of. (no winch, stock bumpers, etc)

Could lose the top weight and 31" spare tire, but thats about it unless I started ripping off doors, hood, etc.

Can't recall if the tank was full when I weighed it or not, but that could be potentially 180lbs or so? Probably had half a tank at the time.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i cant believe your guys' rigs weigh so much,

ive never even weighed a longbed thats been over 3860lbs

you guys must add ALOT of extra items or something.

with the weights that your rigs weigh, youre leaving none or hardly any cargo carrying capacity per the GVW rating on door jamb sticker or plate.

crazy..

im curious to see what your GVW weight rating minus actual entire rig weight is

hmm..

8. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I aint no expert but Id say alot of the weight has to do with them big tires and 1 ton axles /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I would say the same thing and if you think abought it have you ever removed a part and put on a weaker part? we add OBA and big bumpers ect what highlift jack is like 40lb

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

did you read my post? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but my truck has almost NOTHING in it that isn't factory, although you can consider the 465/205 "non-stock".

The only thing that adds weight that I've put on is the tires.

You've got to remember, K5's have more structural metal than the trucks do, as well as a 200 or so lb top, along with (for most of us) a spare tire. Still nowhere near the number you quoted, sounds to me like the scale you use is dead wrong. A 1980's Monte Carlo (RWD mid-size, not FWD) weighs up to 3800lbs from the factory, and no less than 3200.

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The weight issue.
    My point of view is most of the weight added (70%) is below the frame.
    Thick steel wheels (10-25lbs ea),
    big heavy tires (50-90lbs ea)
    axles (300-600 lbs)
    crossover steering (25lbs in tube)
    Longer springs (25-45lbs ea)
    That weight doesn't affect the load carring weight of the axle. The GVW issue is kinda wierd too. A built K5 has all the heavy parts of a 1-ton, including brakes. Sure it has a winch, bumpers, tools, extra parts, spare tire, 2 cast iron t-cases, 4 driveshafts (includes spares), 113ft of steel tubing wrapped round it and the biggest icechest a person could lift, that is fullsize 4wheeling (It's a K5 thing jeeps don't understand). On the other hand a bone stock K5 with top seats carpet etc. weighs in around 4800-5300lbs depending on the year and location (smog, ac, cc, pw, tbi, all add up).
    I'm sure I'm repeating the same stuff a lot of people are saying but i wanted my own spin on it.

this is all just my $.02

Thanx
    p.s. I have never weighed my K5 and I'm not so sure I want to.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My buddy weighed his k10 short bed at a little over 4000 pounds I believe so that 3800 something sounds wrong to me.

13. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I had mine down to about 5300 pounds with 1 ton and 40". No doors, top or tailgate a the time. I am in the middle of enougth mods that I think I can get it below 5000. But then I will be adding a cage. I guess we'll see what happens in the end.

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ive never even weighed a longbed thats been over 3860lbs

[/ QUOTE ]

My '85 K30 with the 4" lift and 35" tires and one gas tank filled up weighed right at 5400 lbs. at the local COOP with me out of the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've still got to get mine weighed, but I'm *hoping* for very low 5k range...

16. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

My 85 shortbox, no lift. 31" tires 350/700R4/208 on 10 bolts weighed in at 4600 lbs.

17. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

With me in it my truck weighed in at just a hair over 6000 pounds. And thats with 35 inch radials, aluminum wheels and no AC, tools, gear, etc. Almost 3800 pounds of that is on the front axle. A big bumper, winch, and a cast iron big block will do that. Also, its a longbed.