Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it feasible to patch my leaking gas tank???????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fad2blk99, Sep 21, 2004.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

The gas tank is starting to rust trough on a small spot on the bottom (I believe the leak was help along when I just reinstalled it). As the subject says, is it feasible to repair gas tanks or should I be looking for a replacement?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i would buy a new tank. its not worth the effort to fix it, then 3 months down the road it starts leaking in a new spot.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i would buy a new tank. its not worth the effort to fix it, then 3 months down the road it starts leaking in a new spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Borderline suicidal to try to fix a gas tank.

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

ok I'm gonna take the other path. Gas tank repair kit <$10, new tank, $100+. And if done correctly a repair will last. I patched a couple metal tanks with a kit and they held until we stopped using the vehicles (1 jeep lasted 5 years before we sold it). The kit I used comes with some epoxy, fiberglass cloth, and a mastic stick you can use to work on a tank with gas in it. The key is to clean the area well and patch well beyone the leak. If the leak is more than pinholes then you may want to look into a new tank.

Some folks can't afford to just go and buy new everytime something breaks. If you can afford it buy a tank. If you are a po mofo like me try to patch it first. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

If its just a small hole that is seeping a bit,rub the spot with a bar of soap.

I tore a small hole in my tank 3 years ago and thats what I do /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have patched many tanks--but I dont think its worth it anymore,it always leaks again in short order,either in another spot or where you fixed it.I've used fiberglass cloth and resin,tiger hair(long strand fiberglass body filler),many so called "Gas Tank Leak Sealers"and J-B weld,the J-B seems to work the best and last the longest,but 6 months or a year is all I ever got from a patched tank--I have had tanks soldered or brazed at a body shop before,the owner shot his CO2 fire extinguisher into the tank after flushing it out with water and used a torch on it--it held for about a year.An old timer showed me how to solder a penny to a leaky tank in my vw beetle years ago,he simply heated the penny up and fluxed it and put a puddle of solder on it,and pressed it firmly against the already sanded and cleaned tank--it stuck like magic and lasted a long time-(long enough for me to toss a rod through the block! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif).But I'm getting too old to be yanking leaky tanks in and out--I'd rather spend a hundred bucks and know all that 2 dollar a gallon liquid gold isnt dripping on the ground,its much easier to do it once and be done with it,and much safer--you wont have to worry about people flicking their cigarrette butts at your truck,or gas ruining the asphalt in your driveway. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    I have used a sheet metal screw with a rubber faucet washer to stop a small pinhole leak while on a road trip--the soap trick works too,bar soap that is--my brother used 3M masking tape once in desparation on a trip to stop a seam leak--atfer the tank was below the leakeage level he applied several layers,and never filled it more than 1/2 a tank the rest of the trip--we pulled the tank out after getting home,the tape was practically welded to the tank!--I was amazed--when I saw him put masking tape on it,I was like yea,that'll work! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

7. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

surprised no one has mentioned JBWELD my tank has a patch of JB on it and it doesnt leak (not my doing tho P/O trick...but hey if it works /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I ripped a pretty good gash in my tank comin down on a rock once so I hammered the edges of the gash together and put JB weld on the seam. It hasn't giving me an ounce of trouble for almost a year now. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

My only thought about repairing the tank is this:

What kind of rust must be in the tank.

If the tank rusted through, think of all the rust and crap in the bottom of the tank.

I had a rusty old blazer with a rusty tank. I ran two fuel filters, and I still ended up with enough junk in the carb that the truck died on me because the needle and seat were all gunked up.

You got to be careful not to spend a dollar to save a dime.

10. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

The current tank is clean and in relatively good condition, except for the small rust spot on the bottom of the tank (thanks to the gas tank skid plate). I think I might try JB Weld, and if it leaks through I'll buy a new tank. The 31 gallon tank is $130 (plus s/h) from LMC truck.

Thanks for the help guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif