Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it gonna be OK?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Nov 5, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Snapped my driverside rear top shock mount off. I only have 3 shocks on the K5 now. Is it gonna hurt anything if I drive like this for awhile. Maybe 2 weeks? I need to get to work. Also where can I get the shock mount? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

FWIW, I drove mine with the front shock mount busted off the front axle for a month... a little bouncy and possibly dangerous if you're not careful, but it shouldn't hurt your truck. The springs are what support the weight, the shocks just dampen the tendency of the spring to oscillate when you hit a bump. LMC Truck carries the shock mounts, and I believe there are a few aftermarket Co.'s that carry 'upgraded' rear shock mounts as I hear they are a bit of a weak link.

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I drove mine with no sway bar or shocks in the front for a couple of weeks, it drove like a cadillac. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    When I put welded the new shock mounts and put shocks again, the only difference was the oscilation on bumps was gone.
    I think if you have the sawy bar on, and only one shock missing, it wouldn't be too bad. actually you might or not notice a difference. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I snapped my driver side rear mount too about a month ago, I drove my truck around for a few weeks without it, you will be fine. Just be careful if you are going to do some highway driving, things can get all little bouncy. Things can get scary, especially after that 200 car pile up in southern cali. Also, I just took a 1/4" peice of flat steel and welded back over the crack and mine is holding just fine.

5. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i busted off a front P.s. shock, and a rear D.s. shock.

i have to learn to weld gooder. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

but it rides fine

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I drove without the same your talking about for about 2 weeks. The bottom bolt fell out and it was just hanging there. The only time I could even tell was going over speed bumps.