Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it good to drop the t-case?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, May 10, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I posted this already in the past my truck keeps breaking my rear u-joint, I've been told that the rear differential has to be angled up little or to drop the t-case, 4Wheel parts told me they would drop the t-case about 1 to 1.5" for $25 plus the parts wich are about $27 everything together would be abut $65, than they referred me to another guy they know that's a welder, now this guys works on his own out of his house he works mostly with *eeps, I went to see him about my gear box brace and frame repair kit, and told him about the u-joint problem and he told me that he has done some work for 4Wheel parts, and he knows how much they charge, he said that the $25 was just a hook to get me in there, and then they'll tell me that I need something else he said he could do the job for about $150 but he's not gonna drop the case according to him that's not that good, if he does the job he'll angle the rear pumpking to point upwards and that'll take care of the problem so what do you guys think, and sorry for writing a novel.
    ps. the welder told me that 4Wheel parts charges $65 an hour, and when I went to see the welder he had about 20 *eeps parked outside his house waiting to be repaired so that tells me that he works good and doesn't seem expensive, and I have to admit there were some nice *eeps but not compared to the K5s,

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

2. Most Chevy trucks have 1" spacers on the top side of the crossmember. Take a look and see if they are there, if so then there is your drop kit !! Take them out, one side at a time with a jack holding it up and put the spacer between the frame and the crossmember and whallaaaaaaa you just dropped your transfer an inch. If they aren't there then go buy four 1" spacers and four bolts and nuts. Much cheaper than there option !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    don't drop the case. No reason to raise the truck to just lower the lowest break over component. If you do decide to drop it, you can get some steel from a steel mill and drill out the holes. I'd bet you could get the steel for less than $10 and drill it out your self.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, my case is dropped 1.5" and no problems. The option of tilting the rear diff wont work either because the problem is with the angles of the u-joints. If you tilt the rear diff, it will decrease that angle of the joint to closer to 0 degrees. The angle at the t-case will be the same, and you will have a huge vibration. The angles have to be near equal for the 2 u-joint system to work. If you do decide to tilt the rear diff, you will probably have to go with a cv driveshaft. Which will run you into a pile of $$ as well. I would just lower the case the 1" (with the Rancho 4" lift kit, they include a 1" drop kit) and save my pennies until I can go the whole hog and run a cv shaft with the rear diff spring mounts moved.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

I just had to install a cv drive shaft...the vibrations were drivin me nuts....the transfer case with it droped and the diff. were at the same angle..(well real close to it) but i still had to do the cv shaft...it cost me about 335...cash i dont have but thank god for credit cards! =-) but everything is nice and quite now...i only put a 4 inch lift on and still had to do this......oh well i will get over it.

Chaz
    1988 Screamin Yellow K5

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"

6. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

So what do you guys think I should do first drop the case or angle the diferential, I really dont have the money to go for the cv shaft right now my CCs are full to the limit, but I'm tired of breaking my u-joints what do you guys recomend?

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

7. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

for now do what Big Burb suggested, see if the 1" spacers are on the bolts, if they are there place them between the tcase mounts and the frame, this will save you the most dollars and save U-joints until you can afford a CV shaft.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>