Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it illegal to paint your vehicle like a cop car?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Feb 10, 2005.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I'm serious, would this be illegal?

[​IMG]

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I dont see how it would be... I had a black truck and bought white doors osifer:p:

only way I see it going bad would be if you had functional lights
    look at how many ex police cars / sherrifs vehicles there are sold each year, many never get repainted from the two tone tan color

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I think that would be fine, as long as you "don't put no stinking badges" on it.:p:

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Nope not it not, im pretty shure the law states you can have it as long as there are no flashing lights or reflective stickers, i rember reading this some where but i cant rember where, it hink it was in a hot rod, the were building a old plymouth fury cop car

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Since your question is answered, I'm gonna take it a little O/T.

Think the 5-0 would get upset if you were to take a dark blue crown vic, tint it out, and put antennas all over it?

6. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

I don’t think it’s illegal either. HPD sells off there old cruisers and you see them floating around here on the freeways with q-beam and all. The markings are off the car but the fugly baby blue paint’s still there.

7. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

Nope. Some on the south side here do just that, to park at the “cantina” and use it to get a line on some punaynay.:cool:

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

No, because manly cops don't drive anything other than white, black or some mixture thereof.

As for the paint scheme, no that wouldn't be illegal. Can't find the statute for it and you CA ****ers are really getting to be a pain in the butt since I left and left my CVC book at the old work place. :D

You will see old cop cars all over the place, but you will notice that all the stickers have been removed. Besides, there's not that many K5 patrol units left.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Good site http://www.copcar.com/

many of the restored ones that go to shows and parades etc , get magnetic stick on isignias , and they aren't normally on otherwise . Cop Cars are cool :D

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My DD is a 2000 Impala 9c1. Bought it to drive on business. It has the spotlight, ugly wheels and all. No decals or lights and it is solid white, but I put cheap antennas in the holes in the trunk b/c it was easier than fixing them. Nothing illegal about it at all.

11. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

A guy here in Oxnard had a crown vic or caprice what ever the use for cop cars here that he painted black and white, looked just like a cop car (no lights or badges on it)
    Driving it or sitting in his driveway, at a glance you would mistake it for a police car. It was like that for about two weeks, fresh paint and all. Thenn all of the sudden the white was primered tan. We were told that the police made him paint over it because it was impersonating a police car and that was illegal:dunno:

Would they have different 'rules' in different cities or different areas? This was in La Colonia which is a high crime area. This was all when the injunction was being proposed in all so who knows what the real story was.

Couldnt you just call the CHP or Local Police just to make sure?

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

No, they wouldn't have different rules in different cities in one state, as they go off the state law; but there could have been some "impressions" and a "talk" about the situation and the guy took the easy way out.

13. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

ex poleece cars ... movie undercover play cop cars... and just plain geekozoids that wanted to drive something that remotely looked like a police car ALWAYS attracted my special attention...

and why would you want to give me any reason for me to be a dick to you ....

CSLFA=THE VEHICLE CODE.....

anyone that wants to drive a policecar or anything that looks like one and isnt a policeman with a gun radio and lots of backup has some serious maturity emotional issues anyway... in California why would you want to be a target.... for road rage or just some idiot looking for trouble...

ok... my k5 was black and white,,,, but now fourwheeler jeff has it and all built up you wouldnt mistake it in anyway for a policecar...

but as to Cali law... you all are correct... no lights no stickers no problem

14. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

its not a maturity issue, more of a respect thing, i've always had high respect for the police and armed forces, and I also enjoy being different, the truth is, last night i was playing with different color options for the k5 in photo shop and i made the cop one for fun. Also if i ever went to a car show or got in a magazine, i think it would be totally unique to have that paint scheme, not that i would ever paint it that scheme since i'm not a police officer and i think its something reserved for someone who is or maybe someone who's family member is. Anyway thanks for the insite guys, if i ever choose to paint it in that scheme i'll feel safe about it.

15. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

btw camsk5, your very judgmental forming all those opinions about someone because of how their vehicle is painted... what if i bought it like that and couldnt afford to paint it, or what if i was a cop, or what if i just wanted people to question weather or not it was actually a police vehicle, there are always dozens of possibilities as to why people do what they do. So before your quick to judge people, you should step back and concider them.

16. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Theres at least two old crown Vics in my college town running around with the spotlight still on them, and its a bitch some nights cuz there are a couple cop cars that dont have lights up top, so from the front you cant tell when you see the light. Its "woke me up" a couple times.

17. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

poleece get paid to be judgemental:)

then the judge judges the poleece...

then the public judges the judge

it all works out....

let me be clear... I didnt screw with working class people just dirtbags....

but
    if someone wants to act like a propeller head then its appropriate to treat them like one....
    and in L.A. there are MANY MANY police impersonation cases... doper ripping off doper... weirdos pulling over women with red gumballs in play police cars and doing nasty things to them.... gay boys who like wearing uniforms and trolling for lil boys on Santa Monica Blvd....

Do I judge you .. nope... just providing honest info.... and many years in a black and white... ck5ers are lucky there are alot of us on here that speak frankly to you about issues you would never stop a copper on the street and ask ...:rolleyes:
    cam

18. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

The CHP & LAPD auction off old cruisers all the time. I see them around, usually driven by rowdy people...

Black & whites, emblems and lights removed. Go for it!:D

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You forgot to mention that a 9c1 in great shape with only 56,000 miles can be bought for around $3000. At least here. That's why I bought one. I drive about 25,000/year on business and there is just no use tearing up a new car IMO.

I have never acted like, nor predended to be a police officer, which would be a maturity problem. I simply bought a car for very little money that came with a service history, gets 26 or so MPG on the highway and is fairly comfortable.

I will admit that as an added benefit, many of the people living in my neighborhood solw down as they approach my house b/c I park it on the street. Safer for the kids/dogs, but an unintentional side effect.

20. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i was toldf a long time ago it was although i know of a kid who owns a 91-up black and white ex cop car,

i know its illegal to display blue lights though

and i think headlight flashers, in which i installed in an 83 caprice i had, i was gonna do taillights too but car ended up geetting impounded in chicago :/

i sold someone an 81 c-10 thats all black and then later i sold him a pair of white doors, thats how it still is right now

and i dont know about the police here, one of the officers locally got busted for growing plants in her basement not too long ago, oh and having a bunch of guns and no foid card, all 24 officers in the dept were tested heh, oh and something about lying about age to get driver license early, something illegal about that too