Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it just me or does all your $$ go into your k5 also!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by The85k5, Aug 26, 2001.

1. The85k5

The85k5 1/2 ton status

Well to start off i'm only 19, i started with a stock 1985 k5....bought it from a gypsy lady who screwed me over and found out in a month that it had major blow by, so my dad and our mechanic rebuilt the engine (i didnt know crap about engines at that time so we rebuilt it stock) which i regret now!, but anyway since then almost all my money goes into it...at first all my buddies told me to lift it but i was like "no no that through's off your center of gravity and it 4-wheels fine now" boy was i dumb, a few months later i bought a 4" all leaf lift kit from rough country...i didnt want to be too extreme, put it on the next day and boy did my 32's look stupid! so then i bought some 35 in bfg's...thinking i was done then every thing started going wrong!, my drivline was too short, my rear end posi unit shot through my rear end cover and all my lug nugs on my front tire snapped!, now its 2" body lift edlebrock performer, hedman hedders dual 40 series flow's bigger cam 4 kc lights, brush guard, and a $1500 stereo and i know i wont be done.....one of my buddies is almost done after about 10 grand....he has a 85 k5 (like mine) but with 12 in suspension 3 in body 44's 5:56 (or something like that) gears but is still running that with the stock 10 bolt and the stock driveshaft.....is this ever gonna end!!!

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

How doyou like the hedman headers ?

1977 K5 Blazer [​IMG]
    GET IT AWN

3. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

<font color=black>The way I look at it, it's like having a car payment on a new car, only you already have the title and you have complete control over options and customization. Plus, if (and that's a big IF) you can ease up on the upgrading after a couple of years, your costs will go way down, amd you'll have a vehicle that's better than new, and will outlast many of the electronic, computerized marvels built now with a planned obsolesence of 5 years. All for a price that in the end works out to be less than a new car or truck.

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.batcave.net>www.k5.batcave.net</a>

4. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

$$1500.00 for your stereo!!??[​IMG] I bought my 85 for $1000. You should re-think your priorities on your truck. You could've used that money for some 1 ton axles or something else to beef up your truck. Well I guess everyone has different opinions on whats imprortant. Also, how is your buddy running 44's on 12 inches with 10 bolts and a stock shaft?? Does he wheel it? I'd like to see that. As for the money subject, it'll save you money to build it right the first time, so think about what you want to do with your truck in the future and just stick with that game plan. I broke my 10 bolt also but instead of dumping $$ into something that'll just break later I'm putting in a 14 bolt. Its sorry to hear about all your problems though. Hey its good to see anoter K5er in the Bay Area.

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers... and it's still not BIG ENOUGH!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle</a>

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

oh yea, stereo's are really important! LOL actually I had 3500 in my last stereo system, and I'll probably have that much in the one I have in Jedi Mind Trick. Insane Ewok will not have anything like the just a good old cheap sony deck with speakers.

anyway I'd have to say if you are really going to wheel this thing and keep it long term then you should look into upgrading the axles (especially the rear so at least you can get a bullet proof rear).

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff</a>

6. The85k5

The85k5 1/2 ton status

well actually thats the retail on the stereo :) probebly still have 500 into though...hey i'm a teenager i need big speakers! but i was having a bad day yesterday so i was cranky....i think the woman's pms is contagious hehe, but for my friend with the 44's i'm very supprised how his 10 bolt is holding up....he has a rebuilt 350 pushing about 380 horse (at the flywheel) but his 700 r4 and his driveline are still stock! and he tows a trailer with his quads to hollister hills and takes is off road quite often, i guess he's just lucky!
    RObb

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

It doesn't have to suck up all your money. Just build it slow like me (1-1/2) years...:( I dont have a 1500 stereo though, just a shaft style cassette and some 6x9 el cheapos in the doors. I have buddies that're into the stereo thing, but I see it as pretty useless in a trail rig. Most of the stuff that goes into my blazer is used equipment bought at good prices. As she sits right now, she's got right at 3K in her and that includes the shocks, brake lines, and cage tubing that isn't even installed yet. Just research, shop, and make it happen by making intelligent decisions as to what is needed, and what's not, and at what price!

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>