Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it just me, or is finding a diesel k5 hard to do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by College_Blazer, Jul 5, 2005.

1. College_Blazer

College_Blazer Registered Member

Looking at purchasing a diesel k5 here in Arizona, and man! Not so easy to find really. I'll keep an eye out for the next coming months, but does anyone have any tips? I check craiglist.com, autotrader, and classifieds. Any sites/sources I am missing?

Thanks

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

tried auctions??

I have only seen about 6 diesel K5's since I have been into GM trucks--only 3 or 4 of them for sale in the "Want ADvertiser" magazine..even diesel pickups are fairly rare here--not many of either were sold here with diesel engines evidently..and unfortunately the few that were are either highly prized by their owners,and they wont sell them,or want top dollar if they do!--and many of them that non diesel oriented people owned were junked after they failed to start on a cold winter morning more than once..or were beaten to death by a contractor or they towed horses and other heavy duty use..

The biggest source of diesel powered K5's and pickups in the 73-87 year range was the US Military...here in my area we have GSA (Government Services Administration) auctions that sell off surplus military vehicles and equipment...thats the place to start looking first..(but I'd shy away from any 24 Volt models...they are a LOT different than the "civilian" models with a normal 12V system).....other than that,all I can say is keep looking on E-bay,all the "Want Ads" and dont forget to look behind barns,in feilds,andother hiding places where a "dead" or unused diesel might be hiding..

Another route is to buy a nice gas powered K5 with motor or tranny problems,and swap in the diesel from a donor or junkyard truck...one friend of mine scored a nice 88 K5 with a 305 that had bad head gaskets or heads,and the guy ran it until it nearly seized up--bought it for 500 bucks!--and he found a school bus in a local boneyard with a 6.2 and a TH400 for 350 bucks!--now he has a sweet K5 with a recently rebuilt 6.2(bus had a reman engine 10,000 miles before it was scrapped after an accident!)...he loves it--gets 20+ mpg,and tows his boat like nothing!... :crazy:

3. College_Blazer

Ya

I live in northern phoenix.. old horse raising area, so I guess i'll be farm crawling for a while, maybe I can get lucky somehow. Only way I'd buy a blazer with now a day's gas prices is if it was a diesel..

Also I think the idea that i could always make it run B100 if I had to is a comforting thought with the whole oil deal now a days.

Oh well, i'll keep looking for dead blazers/old 6.2l vehicles. How hard is the swap by the way? Besides the fuel system, anything wierd?

4. diesel4me

not hard..

Putting a diesel in place of a gas motor is a bit more work than installing another gas engine,but not too bad..

Its best to get a tranny WITH the diesel motor--a gas tranny has a different stall speed in the torque converter--though it WILL bolt up and work!--some guys I know who used their original tranny from the gas V8's said they did not notice any difference at all!.--

Other than that there is a minimum of things to change...the motor mounts are the same as any other chevy motor,you'll need the diesel radiator,mostly for its huge cooling capacity AND the fact it has a tranny and engine oil cooler built into it...you could get away with a big block gas radiator and external oil coolers instead if desired..

The wiring other than glow plugs is the same as a gas motored truck,and a few things like the throttle cable and other minor things are different...its best to have a diesel equipped parts truck to do th swap,or at least know where there is a junkyard one to pirate the small parts off before attempting the swap--.

tRusty K5 has done the gas to diesel swap in his K5--he can probably give you a lot more detailed breackdown of all the things you need to get and do if you go that route!..of course,the easiest way is to buy one that already IS a diesel,and fix all the bugs in it!..they ARE out there--they just seem harder to find than your usual rusty 305 powered K5... :crazy:

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

6. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you are interested in making your own for cheap I happen to have all the "fixins". PM me.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

In Glendale
    only one listed on Autotrader.com
    [​IMG]

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

9. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Try Governmentliquidation.com
    They have them there all the time, but they are in camo.

10. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Hard... more like time consuming(sp).

When I got mine, I'd been looking for about three months. I finally had setteled on two. One was in Ogden, UT. The other was on Ebay in NJ. I went for the one in UT as I am in Denver and it was a tad closer.

The best source is the classified adds of newspapers that post on the internet. You can pic how far you want to go to get one and just start looking.

Good luck in your looking!

11. College_Blazer

Great

Great advice everyone, thanks! IT should really help speed up my process, only thing that is sad now, is once I get it.. i'll only drive it for a week before I start lifting it and adding body armor.. *sigh* :D

12. College_Blazer

Oh wow

I missed the two posts about the ones for sale.. that one in glendale on autotrader said it had a 5.7l diesel, which scares me a bit. Seems made up or something, and the one for sale does look mighty intresting.. now I gotta try and free up some funds. I wasn't expecting to buy in the next week or two, was just trying to find a decent source to look for them, as auto trader only had like 8 in the whole country. :) Thanks everyone.

13. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

No 5.7 olds diesels came in the K5's. Most people know so little about these motors they just take a guess at what it is, and im willing to bet thats what they did there.

14. College_Blazer

How good?

Are they good? And if theres a lesson i've learned.. its stay away from mildly used engines lol.

15. diesel4me

dont buy a 5.7 diesel...

:eek1: --The 5.7 old diesel might have never came factory in a K5,but many pickups did!--and anyone can swap one in!--but the only way I'd buy one with that motor would be :

A: VERY CHEAP!
    B: Planned on installing new motor right away!

That motor was a complete embarrassment to GM,and is responsible for the poor reputation of GM light truck diesel motors...unfortunately it carried over to the 6.2's--they aren't bulletproof either,but dont deserve to be confused with the 5.7 olds diesel,which was just a gas 350 made into a diesel.

GM learned pretty quickly that the olds 350 gas motor,while a sturdy dependable engine,was not up to the task of handling the 22:1 compression ratio required to be a diesel!..they did not last long,in most cases all the trucks that had them had engine failure within a few years,and it was a nightmare for GM...

I'm suprised to see a few are still running--I see a few trucks with the olds diesel for sale once in a while..but I've seen a LOT more in the junkyards than anywhere else!... :crazy:

16. gib7336

gib7336 Newbie

I got mine from e-bay under other vehicles, military. If it doesn't have to be pretty definetly look at www.govliquidation.com they have a lot of cool stuff there. Mine is a cucv (government issue) and I got it with only 40,000 mi. So far I really like the 24v system because it starts like a charm and especially in the winter the batteries have a lot of power to cycle the glow plugs and still have power to turn over the engine.

17. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Weird, every both GM trucks I own have 6.2s and i was actually just offered a K5 with a 6.2 for free if I can get it off his property. Waitin on a buddy with a tow rig. Hehe New Project

18. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

Took these sometime ago here in town at the Army National Guard base. Pretty bad pics but I think you get the idea. There were 5 rows of atleast 15-20 in each row.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  19. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

You guys happen to see the dates on this????

20. College_Blazer

Man!

What a wierd email lol.. "You have a reply to a thread you have subscribed to."

lol.. wierder part? still trying to find a good one.. I always seem to be broke when a nice one pops up.