Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it legal to explore powerline roads?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Mar 27, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

My friends and I have always driven up the powerline roads and other backroads for fun... just to see where we can go, pick huckleberries in the summer, and just to have fun.

My only concern now is the legality of it all. Now that I keep lifting my rigs and my friends all have bigger trucks, we tend to look less like your average group on a "Sunday drive".

There are some good mud holes up those roads this time of year, but I'd hate to be messing around where we arent supposed to, and even worse, get a fine or something.

Dows anyone know the local laws in your areas? Are powerline roads and access roads open for exploring?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I beleive that different companies have different policies, but I would venture to say that if it is not posted as no trespassing and there are no berms or anything built up to attempt to keep people out, then you're probably OK. Just respect the trail and all that stuff. If you want to be sure about it then it should be as easy as contacting the customer service department of the power company. </font>

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Like Shaggy said, if there is no signs posted, and it's not blocked off, it shouldn't be a problem.

4. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Like Shaggy said, if there is no signs posted, and it's not blocked off, it shouldn't be a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you come across a gate, look for livestock and any signs posted. If you do open the gate, close it behind you. (In Wyoming, that is an acceptable practice.)

Carry identification, just in case you get stopped, you can prove your identity /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif (and your passengers). With all that is going on in the world, oil fields, mines, power sub-stations etc. all are on alert and some stranger driving around the area with no ID would look pretty odd.

5. mountainexplorer

I've never seen any signs, and the roads are completely open and well traveled. Theres a little lake a few miles from town that locals camp at and stuff. Often, I have heard that local teens go up and have little parties way back in the woods.

Last year, I heard that they busted some people trying to grow marijuana up on one of the hillsides past "our" huckleberry patch. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That would explain why the road looked so well used last summer.

Theres also a well known route that takes you the back way from the town of Ione where our place is near, to the neighboring town Metaline 9 miles away. There are a series of little arrows on trees that show the way.

I'm mainly concerned about driving through some of the mud holes. We don't drive through any springs or streams... just the areas of melted off snow creating mud looks really tempting in spots. I know environmental groups would frown on us "playing" in these areas, but we don't tear up the wildlife (trees, ferns, beaver ponds, etc...). It's just all regular grass/sod with water flowing or settling there.

6. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

You can always carry few few bags of grass seed (not the grass seed they were growing out there before /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) just in case the local tree huggers get their g-strings in a knot. That way you can say you're part of a "4X4 Wildlife Preservation and Replenishment Club"
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Great Idea! Going to put a bag of seed in my truck tomorrow. Right next to the Kitty Litter. (that's for snow) MoabDad made a good point though. You could be mistaken for someone trying to sabotage the power lines. At the least you would prolly be harrased a little and possibly searched. So be carefull what you carry on the trail.

In CA, unless gated and locked, all fire and powerline roads are open to the public. Not by choice, just too hard and expensive to keep people out. If a gate is closed but not locked we just close it behind us. Usually because of cattle.

8. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

"Gates are for people, fences are for Cattle." I believe, was the saying when I lived in Arizona. Meaning that if ya open a gate, close it. I think the meaning out in the wilds was that if they wanted ya to stay out, they'd buy a lock or a sign. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif We run powerline and railroad trails all the time.

9. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

BTW...our other rule of thumb is...if a cruiser can't get through the trail and an officer ain't walking in...yer good to go. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif You can generally get a "feel" for which trails ain't being used by crackheads and car-theives. We always "police" ourselves in our gatherings that get above 10 trucks or so, and knuckleheads usually get sent away or "chilled." We got a guy that gets his butt kicked every year at our annual Halloween bash...it's gotten to be a tradition when he spouts off after the 20th beer aboot how jeeps and moparts rock? loudly!? LOL!! This is our bash that draws aboot 50 tucks and quads on the weekends closest to Halloween! Cops have walked in and been ultra-cool because of the fellowship. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. mountainexplorer

We havent run accross any gates or fences before. I think the area we explore is too rugged for cattle. Pretty much from where we usually start exploring, theres nothing but mountains and forest north into Canada. No towns, no private houses/land. Just pure nature. It's all state land or National Forest I believe. Many little side roads take off from the powerline road. It's always fun. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Well, so you know. Don't follow any roads like this up by Spirit Lake. I made the mistake of following a little dirt road, to do just what you were, hunting for huckleberries and got my butt chewed out by the local law there. It wasn't marked, and I was passed by two trucks while we were there. I assumed we cool, since they didn't say a word to us. Anyhow, I learned that area, it's a no no.... doh!

12. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that Priest River area?

13. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

California may be different, your mileage may vary. etc.

14. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]
    California may be different, your mileage may vary. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spirit Lake is like 20 minutes from his house in Idaho, not in CA....

15. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If its in Idaho and not posted or locked. Go for it. If its a closed or private road or something, There always seems to be a sign or something to make it obvious.

Never go near a reservation though. I've got a good story about a reservation trip. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

16. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

i'm really bored in class so i'm all /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

jacob

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got a good story about a reservation trip.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You were taken captive by a Nez Pearce hunting party and they used you as their sex toy? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif They got some hotties out there on the Rez. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Not this res! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. mountainexplorer

It's the area between Ione, Washington, and the Canadian border. It looks similar to the areas around Spirit Lake and Priest Lake Idaho.

I think the roads around Ione are less patrolled than around the lakes in Idaho. What's nice is that our place is a mile NW of town, and the road from town keeps going past our place. We just drive up that road, take off on the powerline roads or other side roads and drive until we decide to turn back or hit a dead end.

There are some old mine shafts drilled into the ground (but unfortunately filled with water), but it's kind of neat to look around. Signs there just say "caution" or "danger" around the mine openings.

Being that powerline roads are not really county maintained roads, I wonder if someone could give you trouble for having a truck with exhaust dumps (open headers) or not being licensed (truck w/ expired tabs or no registration).

20. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

it might be if you get hurt, our local powerline roads are marked with "no trasspassing", the ones that are still there. it's mostly for liablility if something bad happens. there is noone patroling them that i know of. maybe the bigones by the military, specially around this (war)time. if you do see something suspicious call it in. like osamama/huslain tring to take them down.

ARQ.