Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it legal to run over someone riding YOUR stolen bike down the street?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by afroman006, Jun 29, 2006.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I was riding the bus to class today and saw an "ethnic" kid riding the bike that disappeared from my driveway about a month ago down a street a block from my house. Now, I have considered the "coincidence" situation but it doesnt seem very likely that an "ethnic" kid would be riding the exact same color and model 10 year old bike down the street a block from my house a month after it disappeared.

So, hypothetically speaking, if I just happened to be driving down the street in my truck, and said situation arises again where he is sportin his new fly ride, am I allowed to dispose of my own property? I was dumb and didnt get my DL # engraved on it or anything but its old and ****ty enough that its prety unique, plus both the shifters are broken. I am not pissed about the actual bike being gone but its the principal dammit...

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It is considered bad form to run kids on bikes over.

3. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I would think that if you can prove it's yours, you probably wouldn't get in trouble for destroying it. However, you would want to make certain that said "ethnic" kid is not atop such bicycle or, I believe that could be considered attempted murder or assault with a deadly weapon. :dunno:

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

The law allows anyone..private citizen to policeman the same rights to effect an arrest when it comes to use of force..
    you can only use that amount of force which is reasonable. necessary, and fully justified by the circumstances...
    obviously running him down is out...
    you would have to make sure ..absolutely sure it was your bike,, not another one like it but your unique bike..
    techinically you would need to advise him he was under arrest and that if he didnt submit to your arrest you would use force.. if he resisted you could that amount of force to overcome his resistance... but no more

Bottom line ..follow him to his cave .. get the police.. arrest him for the felony if its grand theft ..or do the citizens arrest with police help if its a petty theft (determined by your states statutes,,, here the dividing line is 400.00)

Using force as a private citizen is tricky.. you can be sued ( a policeman is indemnified if acting within the scope of his job).. you can be arrested yourself if used improperly. or you can get hurt... I normally advise against it unless its a felon you have dead to rights and who you know you can overcome.. ie an armed bank robber holding a three year old telling everyone hes about to kill him and you can shoot the suspect from a position of concealment without injury to you or others

its the small guys that hurt you...
    remember that.. the big blowhards usually fall down

cam

5. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

Make a speed bump out of his stealing ass!!

6. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Get another bike and go for a ride around the neighborhood and find out where he lives . If he did take your bike he knows what your rig looks like so he will run if he see's it . A bike can be a pretty stealthy sometimes . You can always just knock him off your bike and pummle him with the bike and let him have it :haha: . Just look at it as a form of payment :D . Be sure to tell him to enjoy the bike :haha: .

7. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I was living in Cincinnati not to long ago down in the ghetto. I was broke and living in crap hole house, fortunatly it had a garage, and a forklift... Well we kept a lot of things on pallets since we had a forklift and it made moving things around really easy. Well one day I left a pallet of stuff outside. Things like a chainsaw, a weed eater, some hand tools etc etc etc.

The next day I am driving home and what do I see but a old dude wheelin' a shopping cart down the road with all my stuff in it. I flip a bitch in my truck and pull up to the sidewalk about 20 yards ahead of him. As he comes by I get out of my truck, lean on my truck bed and ask him were he got the chainsaw. He look mortified. He says he 'found' it on the sidewalk. I say bull$**** and then take the time to explain to him that those are my things and they were on my property.

Long story short I make him put them all in my truck and then I give a lecture something like this.

"Now I want you to know that I live in this neighborhood and I am here all the time. I will remember who you are. If I see you on my street I will catch you, drag you out to a construction site, bury you alive and not lose even a minutes sleep. So if you know what's good for you, you will NEVER, EVER come back to this neighborhood."

Of course there were a few explicatives and some threatening behavior for the sake of a little drama. I thought the guy was gonna piss himself.

About 2 weeks later I was driving down the road and who do I see walking down the street about 6 blocks from my house... He sees my truck, sees me and takes off running. It was about 11:30 at night and I think he thought I was lookin for fill dirt.

I HATE THEIVES

8. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I hate em too. Once I had a good coat stolen out of my truck. It was the one I always wear when its cold out to work on the truck so it is covered in grease stains and it is full of holes, but still a good coat that would keep me plenty warm and save me from a few scratches and cuts. Wasnt worth much and losing it doesnt really bother me but stealing it out of my truck in the parking lot of the store wear I work that gets me. Not to mention in one of the pockets I had a set of $80 game calls that they prolly didnt know they got. The next day I bought a set of door locks and keep it locked up. However a few months ago I realized that I locked my doors when there was nothing in the cab but left the tool box unlocked with nearly $900 worth of tools and parts.:eek1::o I keep it locked now too.;)

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Our big theft problem here is with drug addicted homeless assholes that will steal anything they can sell to the recycler. A few weeks back we lost a set of 10 hole Mustang rims. They were OK spares, not a big loss...but I was pissed that one of these low lifes was in my backyard and that the rims basically got sold as scrap aluminum.

Then we get the really stupid stuff. The roof is not on my truck, hasn't been since April. A few weeks ago so mouth breathing focktard swiped my grinning skull door locks. I only put them on the truck because my daughter thought they looked cool.

The last incident was yesterday. There is a rental house behind us, we can't see it because of a huge hedge and a fence...but we'd often heard parties etc back there. I guess the last tenants put a real hurtin on that house because they left and it got boarded up (really improves the neighborhood ambiance :rolleyes: )

Yesterday we can hear what sounds like a stream in our back yard and we have water weeping out of the landscaping like crazy. Next door their whole backyard was flooded...turns out one of these dick heads broke into the boarded up house and cut out every copper line he could get to. Of course the water was still turned on. The house back there is fubar and the city had to come out and turn the water off as well as the gas (before that gets cut and stolen too.)

Rene

10. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Now I know my backup plan.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You live in Texas and have to ask this question?????????????????????????

I'll be on the phone to Austin in the morning. Pack your bags, I think NYC will be a good place for ya:haha: :haha: :haha:

12. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You could always run over them by accident. :D

13. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Nothing will tear me away from this great state biatch. Are the charges typically lighter or worse if you run someone over maliciously or while drunk?

14. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

You could always just say somebody driving in front of you slamed on their brakes and you had to swerve to avoid them, or a dog or cat or something stupid like that. Oh yeah afroman, turns out the old man was set straight by a few neighbor friends of mine........so everythings cool for now. Still plan on giving you a call up though to hang out and talk trucks and what not. Hey if you need any friendly persuasion for this thief fellow, I just built a pneumatic potato gun, and have been tinkering with a blow fun that I also powered with my air compressor.......talk about deadly.

Remington

15. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

x2 on the potato gun:D

16. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

heres what i would do...

club him in the nuts with a spare 10 bolt shaft and get your bike back

pad