Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it lifted or not?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hank14, Jun 5, 2006.

1. hank14

hank14 Registered Member

I have a 1989 V10 Blazer. I bought it last year with 54,000 original miles on it, very original interior and exterior. It has 31X10.5X15 Michelin LTX A/T tires and some inexpensive aftermarket Monroe shocks. I expect it to ride rough, but it is more than I would expect.

I have asked several people, and some say it has a mild lift, while others say it looks stock height.

The height at the center of the wheel well fender is about 36 1/2 inches on the front and 37 1/2 inches in the rear. It is not quite level all the way around.

How can I tell?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Those numbers sound pretty much stock to me. IIRC My 89 when stock sat at around 3' at the fenders. Beings the back is higher than the front it prolly has an add a leaf/overload spring in the rear.Your rough ride may be your shocks. When I bought my 89 it had monroe maginum shocks on it. I replacced them with Gaberial shocks and they improved the ride.Dont expect a ride like the newer IFS trucks form a solid front axle Blazer. SFAs ride stiffer than IFS.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

31x10.50's are the largest tire you can (easily) fit stock.

I'd look at the front springs. If they're inverted, i.e. go UP in the middle, they're prolly stock or real close. If they're arched DOWN, like a U, then they're lifted. Also count leaves; should be two or three up front, maybe six or so in back.

In the back, look for lift blocks between the spring and the perch. (I suspect you won't know what the heck I just said, so do a little Googling for "lift blocks" and you should find plenty of pictures.)

leaves added to the springs, could have crappy shocks, and Big ugly trucks with solid axles do tend to ride rough. It may have had extracould just be old and do that :wink1:

-- A

4. hank14

hank14 Registered Member

Thanks.

There are 2 leafs up front, 6 in the rear, no blocks. I think I'll replace the shocks and see how it rides then. I need to do some searching to see wgat the best shock will be. I know there are as many opinions about shocks as there are shock choices.