Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it normal for a 6.2 to NOT blow smoke?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

So the 6.2 I picked up, does not blow black smoke! Is there something wrong here???

2. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

Mine only blows black smoke when I floor it, doing fast take offs.

Slight white smoke till it warms up.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Under normal driving conditions, your 6.2 should not blow black smoke. AFAIK, there are only a couple of reasons that will cause you to blow black smoke:

1. A dirty air filter

2. Too rich of a fuel/air mixture

Basically, if you start seeing black smoke out of the exhaust, it means that you are putting too much fuel or not enough air through the motor. This can also happen when you temporarily put a lot of load on an otherwise nicely-tuned 6.2. I'm willing to bet that if you put a trailer behind your truck and floored it off the line your exhaust would blow black.

You should also keep in mind that you are living and driving at or close to sea level. You have the benefit of operating your rig in an atmosphere with a lot of available oxygen in the air. I live at about 3000' feet- I see black smoke behind me every time I'm heavy on the skinny pedal!!!!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I only get a little smoke at WOT, normal driving I get none.

Rene

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Have you noticed a difference when you get to higher elevations? I do know that my 83 ran a lot smoother and seemed to have more power the summer we toured through the Okanagan. Conversely, the ol' 83 used to really suck wind when we used to climb the Highwood Pass(2200 metres!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) on a regular basis to get to a campground we liked on the other side of the pass.

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Same here, only blow black when i am really on it.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I noticed a slight power difference when we were in Utah. Elevation there is about 4000-4500 feet. I don't recall much smoke, but the truck was running pretty light with no top, doors or tailgate.

I think my gearing really helps, cuz even going through the pass between Price and Provo Utah it seemed to have plenty of power...that pass was about 7800 feet(~2400 metres) IIRC.

Obviously the more the motor has to work the more it'll smoke. With 4.56 gears it's pretty rare that it has to work hard, especially on the freeway where it's spinning at 2600 rpm. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Rene

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Nope, nothing wrong with that. You're running at the best efficiency you can. You'll probably get really great fuel mileage.

On the other side, that means you have room to turn up the pump! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Mine smokes a lot, especially at full throttle. Of course, I've tweaked my pump a bit. I even get a small puff of black smoke at idle. With my trailer behind, I leave a dual trail of black smoke for all to see! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Casey

9. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

LOL your lucky, Mine as the emission guy says blows like a freight train.