Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it ok if drag link (TRE) isn't "seating" in hole? PLEASE...PLEASE.....PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Nov 27, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Is it ok if drag link (TRE) isn\'t \"seating\" in hole? PLEASE...PLEASE.....PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Ok here is my delema. I am going to try to make it short. I am putting crossover on my truck. Rockstomper drag link w/ TREs. The one on the pass side is number ES2234R. I have a Shakerbilt steering arm (http://shakerbuilt.com/images/60-X-over1.jpg) w/ a tapered hole and a taper on the arm in it. Here is my problem:

When I put the end in the hole on the steering arm which is tapered and put the nut on it it doesn't really pull the end doen in the hole and seat it. It pulls it down, but on the other ones I can take the nut off and the TRE won't come off. On the steering arm end I can take the nut off and give it a pretty small hit w/ the hammer and it comes off. Is this safe to use (w/ cotter pin) or do I need to look into getting different ends or a different steering arm? I took a drag link I had sitting around and the ends of it seem to seat in there. If it is not safe to run w/ the TRE I have now can I go get a DRE that will work? http://community.webshots.com/photo/26127166/32300233Kkewdn
    There is a good pic I found posted by m.j. that has a lot of the ends on it. What are my options or best option?

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Re: Is it ok if drag link (TRE) isn\'t \"seating\" in hole? PLEASE...PLEASE.....PLEASE HELP!!!!!

My first question would be, what is the Shakerbuilt arm tapered for? If GM TRE's, then which ones? 1/2 ton? 1 Ton?

Secondly, how much threads show up below the arm for the nut to grab onto? Do you get enough so that the cotter pin can be installed? If so I would put it on there, torque it to spec and run it like that and keep an eye on it. If you haven't torqued it down properly then it won't stick in the taper, also new ends tend not to stick like older ones will.

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Re: Is it ok if drag link (TRE) isn\'t \"seating\" in hole? PLEASE...PLEASE.....PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Dawson,

I just finished the crossover install and tie rod install this past weekend and all the same TRE ends were used. All seated fully without much effort, and all threads were showing on the TRE's when seated. It sounds like the taper might be wrong. I wouuldn't run it like that, especially without a cotter pin in it.

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Ok here is the deal, I am not sure if it is 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton taper. Its not that it isn't going into the hole, it is going too far. I can tighten the nut down but part of the problem is I can tighten the nut past the cotter pin hole. I also can't really get that much torque on it b/c the whole pin starts to rotate inside the end. Anyone have ideas? Thanks!

5. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Update again. I called guy at shakerbuilt and he said I should go get part number TRW-ES2026 end and it will fit like a glove in his arm. Anyone have any input? He said the shank on it will be bigger than the ES2234R I have now. Anyone? Thanks!

6. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Alright I need to stop posting so soon. I found out more. ES2026R is a drag link end. What do ya'll think about running this? I am probably going to have to cut down my drag link and either me re tap it or have it re taped which I don't want to do but I don't think I have a choice. I don't really want to get a new steering arm. I guess this is why a lot of people buy a kit from one place. Oh well /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Any one have any input?

7. Waxer

Yes he's right. The ES2026R and ES2027L are the 1 ton ends. You have a 1/2 ton end that you are trying now. BTDT. I had to cut down my draglink as well when I goofed it up. No big deal. Do it once right instead of taking shortcuts to get by.

Go get the right ends and be done with it.

Does this mean you have a 1/2 ton end on the pitman arm? When I did my crossover steering, I made damn sure it was 1 ton ends I used on both the pitman arm and the steering arm side of the draglink. A few pics of my completed setup can be seen here ---> Crossover Pics

8. Waxer

I must be honest and mention there are a couple issues with my Xover that I need to address.

1: The Ford Van pitman arm only has 2" of drop. This affects overall turning radius and a 4" drop is really needed. Plus it brings the draglink to more of a parallel position with the axle.

2: The D44 Avalanche steering arm is CRAP. It is too weak for this setup. Mine twisted and bent like a pretzel. Also an arm spacer would be ideal to help bring the arm up a bit and make the draglink even more parallel.

I'm just waiting on the $$ and then I'll be getting the steering arm and pitman arm from Parts Mike. His units are BEEF and he actually backs his parts, unlike Avalanche.