Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is it ok to change out one fowled spark plug

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

hey, i have a problem with my number 6 cylinder... it leaks oil all on its spark plug.... the one i had in there for a year had oil gunk all over and around the gap, there was just a space where the spark jumped the gap.

i have had these ac delco rapidfires in there for about 3-4 months now, about 3 weeks ago i checked that one again to see how it was doin... it had, i'm guessing the oil, a black hard layer around the center electrode and the insulator....

my question is, is it ok to change out this fowled spark plug every 3-4 months if i still change it out when i have to change out all the plugs later?

also, i was told at a parts store i could try using some type of non-fowler or anti-fowler tool... basically, i think it fits over the end of the spark plug and is supposed to keep the oil from getting all over it.... is this ok to use?

thanks,
    matt

2. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

if it were me i wouldnt worry about the spark plug, but i would make it a point to find out why the engine is fouling #6. im not sure what it could be but i know i would not wait for the thing to get worse.

3. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

WOW ,,, this is the same EXACT !!! problem i'am having with my rebulit 350 ...
    Ok so i bought my engine 2 years ago from golens engine service, have you heard of them? there located in mass (hanscom air force base) anyways my #6 plug was completely covered over when i first pulled the plugs after 2000 miles. After noticing this i changed the plugs and hoped for the best. No luck! The plug has major oil on it and will foul bad within 300 miles or less... yes i've called them back and the owner (chad) has been very helpful , and i hope it was just a mix up , i really think there a very good shop... But its funny that your having the same issues. Maybe some SBC have problems in this one area? I have been replacing that one plug regularly now for awhile , hoping that the cylinder will burn clean after running sparkless for so long. This is ok as a bandaid fix and is what you should do till you can fix the real problem. I belive the cheapest plug is fine for this , i also moved up to a hotter plug , but was told that this probably won't do anything...

The problem as i see it is the VALVE SEAl, on the intake (of course) side.. maybe a fix would be an unbrella seal..

I'am doing this fix this weekend , i'll post here with the results...

Although after calling golens , chad told me to do a compression check and then call him back. I suppose there could be other problems , such as a bad valve or head.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

It's fine to replace the plug by itself as often as necessary, buy you should be trying to find out why. You could have a bad valve seal, or the valve seat could be bad. There are a few other possibilities, but those are the big 2 as I see it.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Of course try and find/fix the problem, but changing one plug isn't a problem.

However, may I suggest just cleaning it? Unless the electrode(s) are worn down or somehow destroyed, you just need to get the carbon off of it so that it can properly fire. A sharp pen knife usually works fine.

Thats it, no reason to replace it unless it is physically broken.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I was gonna say the same thing. If it's not worn out, just clean it and keep using it.

There's nothing magical about having all of your plugs identical all the time. You just need to have a good plug in each cylinder. Newer cars can be messed up a little by big differences between plugs because they adjust the spark based on gap.

Just keep a good plug in each hole