Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it ok to use Emory cloth on a king pin???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

King pins got a little lite rust on it. Probably ought to change it out to be on the safe side. Do it once ya know, but I had to ask. Also, Where can I get a 7/8" Allen key or hex stock around Charlotte, NC.? Help is always appreciated greatly.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The general consent is that unless your kingpins are totally f'ed don't touch em. Throw it together and call it good (emery cloth would be fine to remove a little surface rust).

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I got a 7/8" allen at Orchard Supply for $15 when I did my king pins. They were fuuuuucked up and had to be replaced-

[​IMG]

New one-

[​IMG]

And this is the allen-
    [​IMG]

:D

If you can't find one locally, I'll send you mine to use if you send it back. :)

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I used a 3/4 drive breaker bar with a long pipe and a 7/8"s impact socket. To connect the socket and king pin I had a few tall lugs nuts that are 7/8" I put them in and broke it free. I did snap a few sockets during the removal and installation but it went well and I got it done without having to source a allen that huge.

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I tried using a lugnut too...I twisted 2 of them in half. Lug nuts aren't very strong. The steel in them isn't all that great.

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I had a dozen of them laying around. I did snap about 4 or so during the whole process but I did do it. I had a loooooong ass pipe going over my breaker bar too, it took 2 of us to get it done. Building that 60 was jsut a fun process altogether, anyone want to give me a 60 so I can build another?:D

7. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner