Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it okay to turn off the elect choke on my carb?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PetaKane, Nov 18, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I start the truck up and I hate the way it sounds when the choke is on. Why can't it just idle from start? Is it okay if I disconnect the choke? I don't wanna mess anything up.

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The choke is usually needed to help it run when cold. You can see if it will start ok without it, but you will have to most likely completely take it off or it will stay closed all the time. You should also be able to slow the fast idle speed down a little bit. I would suggest you leave it on there, I'm running mine without the choke hooked up but it can be a real pain to start for the first time and it hasnt even gotten that cold yet.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Uhhh well disconnecting power to it means that it will sound like that all the time till it fouls out the spark plugs and stalls the engine. It works backwards of what your thinking. the 12volts opens the choke not closes it. Cold temperature closes it.
    It should idle up to aroun 1000 RPM when cold. You can adjust the high idle speed with the screw on the high idle cam on the passenger side of the carb. thats for a Quad. If your running some other carb then this will be different.

4. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Okay, thanks for clearin that up. I'll just try to turn down the fast idle speed.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

with a sharp stab on the throttle the choke should kick down for you