Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it open?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kiblsnbits, Aug 13, 2000.

1. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

Somewhere I heard that its good to drive for like a mile in 4wd every month to keep everything lubricated, so I decided to do this. This was the first time I ever did this on dry pavement. So I was turning around at the end of my street, and noticed that at moderate to full turn, the steering wheel jerked and the tire would occasionally squeel. I thought that an open differential kept that from happening by giving the power to the wheel spinning faster, or am I just totally out of my mind? Probably a dumb question, but any light on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks

Steve[​IMG]

These things are EXPENSIVE

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

What I heard is that you should drive with the hubs locked in 2 HI about once a month. This keeps your front diff happy. What you experienced is drivetrain wind up, even with an open diff the front and rear of the truck are mechanically locked by the transfer case, so when the front tires try to drive at a different speed than the rear (when cornering) stress builds up in the drivetrain, usually this causes one of the tires to chirp in a corner to relieve the stress. Sometimes this can lead to drivetrain damage. If you want to drive in 4 HI or Low once a month find a gravel road or some type of loose surface that will allow the wheels to slip a little when they need to. Other than that just lock the hubs in 2 wheel once in a while.

Rene <font color=red> 81 K-20 Jimmy </font color=red>
    <font color=green>[​IMG]"God hates a coward"</font color=green>[​IMG]

3. Kiblsnbits

Cool, thanks for the reply! Next time Ill do that[​IMG]

4. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

My '79 f/t 4WD has "HI", "HI-LOC", "Lo" and "Lo-LOC".

In "Hi-Loc" or "Lo-Loc", the front and rear drive shafts are indeed "locked" and the problem you describe occurs.

In "Hi" or "Lo", I do not have the problem.

I'm not sure if this is just a feature of the F/T 4WD.

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

DON'T..........DON'T.........DON'T EVER drive your truck in 4x4 on dry pavement. You've been a BAD BOY!!!!!!! LOL Your front u-joints and tires will thank you!!!!

6. Kiblsnbits

I'm Sorry![​IMG] It'll never happen again[​IMG]

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

This only needs to be done if you have an 203 t-case. Your 83 should have an 208. As far as the 203 is concened I have heard that you should drive with only the t-case in four high and also heard lock the hubs and do this. In my 78k-10 would always shift the t-case and not lock the hubs. Since the reason is to lubricate the back end of the 203. Also 203 case is full time four wheel drive, so this is only done for 203's converted to part time.