Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is it poss?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by only 31s, Feb 5, 2007.

1. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

ive been chasing a nasty vibe in my driveline-thought i had a bad tranny or tcase-or driveshaft vibes-all have been checked or changed-someone had suggested my motor might have a bad bearing at the crank? if this could be true wouldnt i have bad pressure and poss screw up motor -i have been driving it 60-70 miles at a time -wouldnt it progress?-any thoughts??

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I had a bad vibe and it turned out that my water pump impeller bushing had gone out and was letting ir vibe at any thing above idle. Might wanna check that out. I noticed it when I was idleing with the hood open it was wobbling all over the place and I could also move it up and down side to side by hand.

Ira

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

possible...

I've seen a 350 motor that ran well, and had vibration troubles,and we found it had spun 2 main bearings when we pulled the motor and oil pan,to change a leaky rear main seal !..the bearing froze to the crank and spun in the block's bore!..and it had decent oil pressure and didn't knock either!..:eek1: :confused: ..so I suppose it is possible!--also,worn thrust bearing surfaces on the rear most main bearing can wear ,so can the crank where it rides against it,and cause excessive end play,that can cause vibration or knocking noises..

A faulty harmonic balancer can cause vibration problems too..as well as using the wrong one on certain engines,and the flexplate too..if you have a 400 small block or a 454,they use an externally balanced balancer and flywheel or flex plate..put them on any other motor and you'll have a nice cocktail shaker!..

A bent fan (if its a mechanical engine driven fan blade) can cause vibrations too,as well as motor mount misalignment,driveshaft angles,worn bearings in rear end or tranny/transfer case,etc..does it vibrate when parked as well as moving,or just when your driving it???...:crazy:

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Recheck the ujoints, again. Make sure the straps/ubolts are tight and the clips are seated. What are your driveshaft angles like?