Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it possible to have a right but wrong torque converter? 700R4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigburban383, Mar 11, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I got a new torque converter on my truck. The truck seems to not go into gear. I filled the new converter with about 2 quarts before I installed it. It went into the trans just fine. I did a trans service and the filter is for sure on good. I put it into manual one and floored it, it didn't move at all, maybe slightly it was hard to tell. The tranny worked fine when I pulled the engine, I couldn't use the old converter because the old converter bolts were siezed and cut off.

Heres my ideas:

1. Wrong Converter
    2. Air in Converter
    3. The little oring on the end is blew out

Whats your ideas?

Thank you

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sure the converter was sufficiently splined in?

3. xflatrater

xflatrater Registered Member

700r4 transmissions come with 27 and 31 spline shafts. You may have a small spline trans with a large spline converter....having done this I can tell you it wont move!

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I would make sure that the converter is FULLY seated on the pump.

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I woudl pull it out and do visual inspection on it some times there hard to get all the way set in the pump but it should go in there a decently good ways(cant really explain how far) when you think you got it in, see how much the coverter wobbles around... My guess is that you have the wrong splined converter because you probably would be able to tell if it wasent all the way in when you tryed bolting it up... also converter bolt bolted INTO the converter it self right? Not though with a nut?

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

they came in 27 and 30 spline versions , but the 27 were only used 82, 83 and part of 84. if you have the wrong spline it would not go in all the way.

when you replaced the filter did you take out the old seal in the pump? if not the filter can be too far down and when you tighten the pan you can crack it and i will do exactly what you said.

all 30 splie 700r4 conveters will work, just different stall speed

the oring is only for lockup.

air in the converter is not possible. the fluid goes direclty from the filter to the pump to the converter and then everywhere else.

7. xflatrater

I dont know where you were in 82-83-84 but I was a GM A-Tech overhauling these pos trannys for a living the wrong converter will slid right in, bolt right up and wont move..been there done that.

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Is the fluid level high enough?

A converter uses more than 2 quarts, maybe it filled the converter and sucked the pan dry.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

A converter uses more than 2 quarts, maybe it filled the converter and sucked the pan dry.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. bigburban383

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont know where you were in 82-83-84 but I was a GM A-Tech overhauling these pos trannys for a living the wrong converter will slid right in, bolt right up and wont move..been there done that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The trans is outta my 84' K5 blazer. So I guess I have to take it all apart and count the splines. I am going to call the trans place that I got the converter from and see if they list different converters for an 84' K5.

The converter seated all the way in, I didn't not force the trans and engine together.

11. bigburban383

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is enough fluid. We added 8 more quarts, added to the 2 makes 10, service says its capacity is 11.7, so were close enough.

12. xflatrater

If its an 84'it has a 27 spline shaft .The good news is that that the 30 spline converter will not damage the 27 spline input shaft, it hardly touches it, thats why the converter slides in so easily. FYI the 27 spline input and pump can be installed in any year 700 if the rebuilder has one and needs it to repair your trans.[yes its weaker!] Check out Bulkparts.com for your parts, a 27 spline converter should hook you up.

13. bigburban383

[ QUOTE ]
    I got a new torque converter on my truck. The truck seems to not go into gear. I filled the new converter with about 2 quarts before I installed it. It went into the trans just fine. I did a trans service and the filter is for sure on good. I put it into manual one and floored it, it didn't move at all, maybe slightly it was hard to tell. The tranny worked fine when I pulled the engine, I couldn't use the old converter because the old converter bolts were siezed and cut off.

Heres my ideas:

1. Wrong Converter
    2. Air in Converter
    3. The little oring on the end is blew out

Whats your ideas?

Thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like an idiot. Apparently the pump is blown out. Luckly I had my old 700R4 stored, I took the pump off of that and changed the vane assembly to the original pump. It went from a 7 vane to a 9 vane, so thats cool...right? We'll see whats going to go wrong tommorow /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it went from 7 to 10. the 10 vane is alot better. more of a constant pressure and quieter /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif