Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Is it possible to make a carport into a garage?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Apr 28, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I was wondering if it's possible to make a carport into a garage? How much work is it? My moms saying if we can't find a house with a garage...but it has a carport...wwe will just enclose the carport.?
    Kind of seems like a lot of work between framing, wiring and all that is involved.
    Is it even possible? Can't see why not...opinions?

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

may not be legal either need to check your local building codes, it all depends on weather or not it is cemented into the ground or not.

3. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

you can build it into whatever you want if they'll let you
    just a pionter to think about while your doing the add on
    it can never be too big :xmas:

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

With enough duct tape, anything is possible.

No, I don't have anything worthwhile to contribute to this thread.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright, I will make sure we check with the building codes and see if we can do it.
    thanks

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Maybe...

I have converted a few with friends to make a place to play with their trucks!--but some did run into problems when the building inspector showed up,and told them they had to get a permit(he could have made us tear it down! :blush: )--the posts have to be in concrete below the frost line,and they also must pass an inspection before they OK and added weight to be added-

-In our case one had 2-1/2 inch pipes as roof supports,they were rusty and only in dirt,so we had to dig them out and put new galvanized 3 inch ones in to meet the codes..then they discovered that since it was enclosed,it was now considered a garage,and was taxable!--raised the property tax 200 bucks the first year,that combined with the cost of upgrading the posts and labor cost a good chunk of change....not trying to discourage you,but if its that involved,you might want to build a real garage in place of the carport..your laws and codes might be less anal though,and you could get away with just closing it in...its different everywhere you go.. :screwy:

7. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

like said get a permit. But may want to do this in steps to get around some codes. They are different county to county. Ask alot of questions to people at the build dept. and home depot, lowes etc.. I would just enclose first as a garage no elec. and be done with the building dept before i start on the elec. Just be ready when the first inspector comes out and says it is all good at this step call when you do this and a different guy comes out and say you need to do something the first guy should of told you. All the question to some good people and customers at the stores will help you through this.

8. riggz

riggz Registered Member

generally, if you do all the work yourself, you dont need a permit. if you hire any sub contractors, then you will. just fyi