Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is it possible to swap a 2x4 front end out with a 4x4 front end?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by GearHead, Mar 27, 2002.

1. GearHead

GearHead Registered Member

I am planing on converting my 2x4 into a 4x4 (the truck has personal value thats why I'm not just buying a 4x4). I just want to get an idea of what to expect. I am hoping that I will hear that it is as easy as unbolting the front end of a 4x4 and the 2x4 will already have the right hole and stuff needed to bolt up the 4x4 parts. Any information or pointers to look for before I start this would be great.

Thanks

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

there are some frame differences between the 2, and it is not a complete bolt on process. you'll need to fabricate some front leaf spring hangers, or find some off a 4x4 truck that can donate them. I believe the transmission crossmember will need to be redrilled to accomodate the proper position, but thats nothing serious. your steering box will need to be swapped out for a K series box. also, the rear will sit a lot lower, due to it being a 2wd. the 4wd spring brackets are longer, giving the truck a higher initial ride hight. you can snag these off another 4x4 if you want to make the truck taller. probably severan things I forgot, but it can be done with enough time, money and paitence...

-Rich