Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is it possible

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazin_blazer, Oct 29, 2006.

1. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

is it possible to use a rear end and put front knuckles on it to make a frontend?
    do they make gears that will rotate it the right way?

I have a dana 60-hd and this thing is gusseted up with more ribs than a waffle iron. i mean this thing is the superman of rears,i want to put it up front if possible.
    i'm not sure what its out of, but the diff is offset a little.(the axels are different lenth from driver to passenger side)

the perches have been moved so that it will fit a 73-87 chevy, and 1 of the shock mounts had to be moved to the oppisite side, as they were both on the same side of the axel tube.
    i seen on here where some1 put a 14 bolt in the front end, but never heard if it got finished or not.

if its possible, what knuckles would be the right size to fit the tubes? I was kinda worried about front driveshaft and oilpan with diff @ in the middle, but realized with enuff lift it wouldn't be in the way.

there is a toyota running around town here and they cut the axel tubes on a d60, then found a frontend that had tubes that where the right diameter to slide into the dana 60 tubes.
    they slide it up in there, made sure it was straight with a solid bar long enough to slide thru from side to side to take measurements from, and then welded the tubes together and got custom axels, looks kinda rigged but it worked. and is still working.:confused:

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

you can't (I shouldn't say that because somebody will prove me wrong) run a centered front diff because the front drive shaft will hit the motor. You would have to retube the axle with a long and short side tube to get the offset. Then you weld on C's, attach knuckels get front shafts for it..... By the time you are done you end up paying about the same price as just getting a steering axle. ONe of the 4wd drive mags built a D60 front this way starting with a dodge rear and the parts tally was close to $3,000. They did use mostly top notch stuff. Deadenbear, Crane, 35 spline hi-strength shafts and all that kind of stuff

But yes it can be done

3. blazin_blazer

thats what i said, if you have enough lift, this shouldn't be a concern. the newer dodges run a center diff also.

4. scooter122983

scooter122983 1/2 ton status

I bet if you also clocked your transfer case a little it would work

5. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

here is the 14 bolt front end.

11275227932060jeZORt_ph.jpg

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

yep i always thought that was cool. theres a guy on pbb that is running a d70 center section retubed to pass drop with d60 tubes, shafts and outers. that would be what i would do if i was going that route.

7. blazin_blazer

i cant see pic

i don't have a credit card and just a guest(well i'm a member ,but not a paying member,yet when i start to order parts from people on here i plan on signin up) here at ya'lls outstanding websit and forum. you guys really are the bomb, i've yet to not get answers for my questions, thanks, your a group of great guys here, for the most part:D jk,jk...so that 14 bolt front end is it in the center or did he offset it...or just put a link to the original thread because i remember it had the pic in the thread

8. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

even with gobs of lift, i would think the driveshaft would still hit the oilpan because of the angle from the side to center. And the more lift you have, the more angle you need on the shaft, which means high dollar cv's.

9. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

damn, that thing is bada$$... wish i knew enough about that stuff to do something liek that. its really cool and different.

10. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Don't forget that the more angle you put on the driveshaft the weaker the u-joints and shaft will be. Centered is a really poor choice IMO.

11. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree. When my buggy is done, Both centers will be stuffed to the driver side.

12. blazin_blazer

will some1 put a link to the original tread with the truck with the 14 b frontend?