Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

is it possilble to run dual altenators?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 17, 2002.

if so how would i go about wiring them? i think it would be cool to have two and be able to have them charge everything and be able to work together or with only one if one goes out. am i dreaming or can this be done? could you run them through some kind of voltage regulator so that the two only put out 12 volts? or you could have dual batteries as well and have one charge each. then use an isolatore so you could swich to one or the other if one went out.

1. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

my plans was to have 2 alternators, and 2 batteries. total sepearate ciruitry, that way you can leave your stock setup for one battery-alternator combo, and the second combo would be for your aftermarket add-ons like a winch, lights, etc.... that was my plan, ive scrounged the brackets and battery trays, but havent gotten around to assembly yet. i am also interested in ofther CK5'ers ideas. i remember reading in the peterson 4wheeler about a product that someone manufactures to run the 2 alternators and 2 battery setup.

2. but with both systems separate can you still start your rig if your main system goes down? need a way that both alts could charge both batteries. then you could run an isolator and use one bat for your accessories and one for starting the rig. this way it would be like haveing a high output amp but you would have two cheep stockers instead. the system could run off of both or one.

3. check this out
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.hehrpowersystems.com/specialt.htm>http://www.hehrpowersystems.com/specialt.htm</a>

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

hmmmm, just having one battery/alt. for your regular truck functions and one battery/alt. for your extras like lights and winch etc would be cool. You could always go low tech and switch batteries if the starting one was dead and the same goes for if your primary altinator goes out, could always switch the charging wire temporily.

Hmmmm, now I see another project in the future

5. René

René 1/2 ton status

You can switch the two batteries automatically with a relay. If the engine runs both batteries together are charged by the generator. If the engine stands still, the relay separates the two batteries, one remains charged and the other supplies lights, winch, etc.

You can propel as many generators like you want. They must be only parallel attached, so that 12V remains. Their performance doubles itself then. If you switch the generators into series, the voltage doubles itself and all electrical components at the car are destroyed.

(Difficult translation!!!)

6. ok, so explain how to wire them in parallel so i can keep 12 volts.

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Might be easier to bypass and use a single voltage regulator/ dual alternator in parallel. Just my two cents.

8. René

René 1/2 ton status

Connect "+" from each altenator and minus directly at chassis. This functions with internal regulator.
    As isolating relay you take one with for instance 50-70A and have it switched from the generator control lamp.

9. can you explain in more detail how this would work? thanks,